Amp for Fostex T-X0 planar
Oct 17, 2017 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

robbeacon

New Head-Fier
I have discovered my 300 mW tube amp is not powerful enough to power these planar cans. They are 50Ohm and handle a max of 3W. I’m looking at the Magni 3 since it puts out 1.3W at 50 ohm. I have also heard the Objective2 is great for these even though it seems to provide much less power. If anyone could explain that I would seriously appreciate it. Some other reading was saying that power hungry planars require amps with large transformers and big power sections. I’ve modified the power stacks in a couple of guitar tube amps so I’m familiar with the parts and concepts but have no experience with planar headphones. My eyes and ears are open to all suggestions. I’m more preferable to the more affordable side of the market. 300 or less if possible. If this isn’t possible I may be selling these headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 4
Magni 3 is perfectly fine, and power isn't everything although it certainly helps! For a hundred bucks you can't beat Magni 3.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 4
I have a set of Modhouse Audio Argons which are modded T50RP MK2's and just recently bought the FX-Audio Dac X6. Honestly, I know it isnt a high end setup but it seems like a steal for the money. This thing drives my Argons to listening volumes with the volume dial at about 8:30 and minimum is about 6:30. I have nothing but positive things to say about it. Super clean audio with deep, impactful bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back