Amp for Fiio E10K DAC ++ "Immersive" headphones
Feb 18, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #16 of 19

Is that an issue with the DT990's then, or the E10K? Would you recommend any other headphones around this price range to pair with the E10K?

I read that DT990 is more bright than DT880 so, for me, is a problem. Prehaps for you it ain't. 
I'm currently using with a DT770/32 and a X2/30(or so) and they both sound great on E10K. The soundstage is a little narrow and the mids are kind of recess. Overall sound for a 75$ equip is amazing. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #17 of 19

Is that an issue with the DT990's then, or the E10K?

E10K is a very linear (neutral) device and has enough power to drive DT990 250 Ohm.

DT990s are bright headphones, if you listen to high quality recordings, this shouldn't be a problem.
On the other hand, if you normally listen to low quality recordings, most modern mainstream music/highly compressed recordings with typical flaws like strong sibilance, then DT990s are not the safe way to go.

Best Luck!

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #18 of 19
hope this isn't too much of a necro post.
I have an e10k and like it and use it at work. I'm very happy with the improvement over my laptop's output

I'm able to get a good deal on a pair of almost mint condition HD800s from a friend of a friend - I'd be paying less than I could sell it for. More than I want to spend but I do presently have the wherewithal. 

How does the e10k work with the HD600s? Do you think it'd work alright with the HD800s which are supposed to have similar characteristics?
I don't want to spend a TON of cash on a dedicated amp, with any luck I'll be starting grad school in a few months and that'll be eating up my income(I'd be paying as I go straight from my paycheck at an expensive, well known private university and hopefully graduating with minimal, if any debt).

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #19 of 19
hope this isn't too much of a necro post.

I have an e10k and like it and use it at work. I'm very happy with the improvement over my laptop's output

I'm able to get a good deal on a pair of almost mint condition HD800s from a friend of a friend - I'd be paying less than I could sell it for. More than I want to spend but I do presently have the wherewithal. 

How does the e10k work with the HD600s? Do you think it'd work alright with the HD800s which are supposed to have similar characteristics?

I don't want to spend a TON of cash on a dedicated amp, with any luck I'll be starting grad school in a few months and that'll be eating up my income(I'd be paying as I go straight from my paycheck at an expensive, well known private university and hopefully graduating with minimal, if any debt).

Hmmm in power terms e10k should be enough to hd600. Not by much though. The question is: Will it sound good? I don't think so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back