Amp for Etymotics
Nov 8, 2001 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

scottpaul_iu

500+ Head-Fier
I pretty much listen to headphones these days. I have a nice home system, but recent additions to the family and lack of space have lead me to box up that equipment.

My current system is this:

Headroom Supreme (Circa 1995)
Etymotics 4S
Audio Alchemy Transport
Audio Alchemy DDE V2.0
Audio Alchemy DTI

I would like to upgrade my Supreme Amp.
My thoughts are to buy either a:

Base Station One for the Supreme
MicroZOTL
Headroom Home or Headroom Maxed Out

I am specifically looking for an amp that will mate well with the Etymotics. I don't have an axe to grind as far as it being either tube or SS. I just want good sound and a good match with the Etymotics.

I like to listen to Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Allman Brothers, Derek Trucks Band, Govt. Mule, Yes, Rush, Glenn Hughes, Tommy Bolin, Robin Trower, and any of Ritchie Blackmore's bands.

Thanks for your help.

Nov 8, 2001 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 5
That's a big spread of amps
smily_headphones1.gif
The Base Station 1 will improve your Supreme, but the Home and MO Home will sound significantly better, especially with the new electronics modules in the 2001 models.

I use Etys with a 2001 Max, and they sound marvelous. Since the MO Home is the same unit in a Home enclosure, I can assure you that they make a great combination -- of course, it's also the most expensive unit in your list.

Another choice might be the Cosmic -- it uses a better electronics module than your Supreme, and you can even get it with HeadRoom's "Reference" module. That way you could still move it around if you wanted to. I think Todd said he'd honor the sale price of $599 for Head-Fi'ers?

Other people really like the ZOTL, but I don't know if anyone has used it for the Etys.

Nov 9, 2001 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 5
The Corda HA-1 (table model, not the just-introduced Porta-) has been a winner for me. It's silent and clean, but it is set most apart from others by its three levels of crossfeed. But it's a good unit even apart from that, and not expensive as these things go.

Nov 10, 2001 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Wes
The Corda HA-1 (table model, not the just-introduced Porta-) has been a winner for me. It's silent and clean, but it is set most apart from others by its three levels of crossfeed. But it's a good unit even apart from that, and not expensive as these things go.

Strictly IMHO the Corda HA-1 sounds very close to the max to me
Its really value for money and Jan is a gentleman to deal with.

If you are really intrested in portability with decent sound you can always contact our resident amp factory JMT he is famously know to make excellent amps specificaklly tailored to the headphone you plan to use...and at the price he charges you cant lose.
HE is also a gentleman and an all round great guy to deal with.

Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I need to learn how to spell
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back