amp for dt880
May 27, 2004 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

RobertR

100+ Head-Fier
need help selecting amp for beyer dt880. been using zin v6 mini. and can hear it struggling to bring out low end capability of 880. Would prefer battery portable with good low end response. can pay 300.00 or more if necessary.
I listen to classical and find the 880 is perfect except for bass.

May 27, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 16
I would wait and see what people think when the Emmeline SR-71 is released. Those who have heard the prototype seem to be really impressed.

May 28, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 16
The Gilmore Lite from HeadAmp.com is supposed to be coming out in a battery version. That might be very interesting since I have heard good things about it's mating with the DT-880s though I have not heard the combo.

EDIT - Actually I have, but it was at a meet and it was rushed so it doesn't count. I have heard the Gilmore Lite with the 990 and they were a very good combination.

May 28, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 16
I would personally not go for a Gilmore Lite with DT880 since I've read about a comparison with DT880 using HA-1 mkII and Gilmore Lite. The Lite was found to be clearly brighter which I would not prefer since my DT880 and HA-1 is already too bright sometimes with a few albums. I know it's because the recording themselves that are bright, but I'd still want to be able to enjoy them without treble getting in the way.

May 29, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 16
TMC wrote:

Quote:

I would personally not go for a Gilmore Lite with DT880 since I've read about a comparison with DT880 using HA-1 mkII and Gilmore Lite. The Lite was found to be clearly brighter which I would not prefer since my DT880 and HA-1 is already too bright sometimes with a few albums. I know it's because the recording themselves that are bright, but I'd still want to be able to enjoy them without treble getting in the way.

Could you post a link to that review? I'm thinking of amps for my new DT 880. I've had them for about three weeks, powered by the headphone jack on my late-80's NAD 7175 PE receiver. It may just be the placebo effect, but I get the impression that the phones sound smoother, with more bass, and that the amp runs slightly cooler now. It's seemed to be a slow change, though.

=davebot=

May 30, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by davebot
Could you post a link to that review? I'm thinking of amps for my new DT 880. I've had them for about three weeks, powered by the headphone jack on my late-80's NAD 7175 PE receiver. It may just be the placebo effect, but I get the impression that the phones sound smoother, with more bass, and that the amp runs slightly cooler now. It's seemed to be a slow change, though.

=davebot=

It's not so much a review as impressions from a meet. Have a look here: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73335

Jun 4, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 16
thanks for your response,just got released from hosp. after a multilple heart bypass so im a little behind in everything.
I think a good amp and other upgrades will accelerate my recovery

Jun 4, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 16
Good with your recovery! All the best wishes.

As to small amps, I highly recommend Ray Sammuel's XP-7, transportable, sturdy, and sounds fantastic. What more can you ask for. Except maybe it is bigger than the upcoming SR71.

Jun 4, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertR
thanks for your response,just got released from hosp. after a multilple heart bypass so im a little behind in everything.

I'm wishing you a fast and complete recovery.

Jun 6, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #13 of 16
i am making a marvelous recovry per the dr.This should probably be in the gen disc. forum. Ive been thru a lot

my wife was in the hosp 5/3 and died 5/24 I had to postpone 3 different heart cath tests. I thought i would only need a stenet for minor blockage but wound up on the op. table 5/29 getting 7 bypasses. I was walking by 6/1.

I am entering a new chapter in lifes struggle and but the void left by my wife will always be there.
Im thankful to all of you and the fact that we share such a love for music these are the things that help us overcome adversity and ultimately make us stronger and better humans.

Jun 6, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertR
my wife was in the hosp 5/3 and died 5/24 I had to postpone 3 different heart cath tests. I thought i would only need a stenet for minor blockage but wound up on the op. table 5/29 getting 7 bypasses. I was walking by 6/1.

I sure hope I never have a month as bad as the one you just went through. There isn't much I can say in the face of that adversity but at least it sounds like you're bearing up under it. My best wishes!

Jun 6, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 16
The 880 was not particularly impressive out of the XP-7 (on batteries), so maybe it'll be similar out of the SR-71.

Personally, I thought that a high-gain PIMETA sounded less strained with the 880, but still it's kind of not quite there.

The RKV is a good match, but... well, that's in a different league. Still, worth mentioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back