Amp for DT880 - with a NOS DAC as source
Jun 18, 2009 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

milesandcoltrane

100+ Head-Fier
I know there are countless threads asking which is the perfect amp for the DT880. I've trawled through a size-able number of them and have come to the conclusion based on the suggestions provided that a tube amp (Darkvoice and Little Dot series especially) or a warm solid state amp would be perfect for the Beyers; special mentions for the Meier series of amps has come up a number of times where Beyers are discussed.

Bear with me though guys and gals, I'm hoping to seek some synergy with these Beyers and I'll be using a modded LITE DAC-AH, a non-oversampling DAC as many of you know (or any other budget NOS DAC if I am unsuccessful in procuring the LITE), hence the sound of the DAC is a little tube-like, warm and analog in itself. I don't want to overdo things and lose the DT880's essential character which has led me to be attracted to them in the first place.

Keeping this in mind what would you recommend? Is a Darkvoice or Little Dot still a safe bet or should I go for a warm solid state or go the regular 'cold' solid state route to keep things in balance?

I'm extremely inexperienced where system synergy is concerned, and would be fantastic if you could de-mystify this breed of head-fi voodoo. Please do suggest amps I should audition.

Many thanks in advance head-fiers!

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 31
I haven't heard a tube amp that can surpass my opera's clarity and detail.
I used to own LD MK IV se and wasn't so pleased with it.

From what a friend of mine stated, the Opera is also better that a WA 6 he heard.
For your budget I'll look for the M3, Cantate (heard the Aria and was great) and Audio-gd series. Synergy is important, look for "involving" amps becasue tube or tube-like tends to sound dull and less detailed than SS with the DT880.

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Synergy is important, look for "involving" amps becasue tube or tube-like tends to sound dull and less detailed than SS with the DT880.

From my experience, the DT880 sounds better when driven by an amp with higher output impedance, bringing out the bass nicely and evening the tonal balance. In my opinion, they sound overly lean when driven by typical solid state amps with very low output impedance.

So I suggest powering them with a tube amp (OTL perhaps); another option is the Meier Audio amps which offer both 0 and 120 ohm output impedance - you choose which you like the sound
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 31
yossi126! Yes I'm afraid I'll lose the details with a tube amp. Does your Opera tame the sibilance issue though? Just checked Meier's website, it looks like the Opera is no longer in production. I'm getting an outboard DAC so with the Cantate.2 and Symphony I don't need the DAC. Is the new Swing the Arietta's replacement? Would it be good enough? The price is really comfortable for me, and I really like its understated looks.

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 31
Hi Donald, how does output impedance affect the sound? It determines the amount of power available to the headphones? I googled it and I couldn't find out more information that I could make sense of = ) What amps would have good synergy with DT880 in view of a NOS DAC and have a high output impedance?

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 31
An amplifier's output impedance interacts with the complex impedance of the headphone (which the DT880 is not purely resistive), forming a voltage divider and contours the frequency response delivered to the headphone accordingly.

In my experience, the DT880 sounds nicely balanced when driven from a higher output impedance around the IEC spec of 120 ohm. Here's a link to Meier Audio's site with further explanation:
Meier-Audio

On the left, click on Tips & Tricks and scroll down to Impedance Optimisation.

One amp which I like the sound with the DT880 is the Antique Sound Lab MG Head. It is a tube amp with selectable OTL and Transformer-included output. I prefer the sound in the OTL setting.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

I haven't heard a tube amp that can surpass my opera's clarity and detail.
I used to own LD MK IV se and wasn't so pleased with it.

Then you just need to go to a meet that has high end tube amp offerings. I had the MKIII and I wasn't so pleased either. However, that shouldn't lead you to generalize how tube amp fares as the Little Dot series are toward the lower end spectrum of things and your Opera is considered as high end hence the enormous price difference.
wink.gif

To the OP: System synergy is really in the eye of the beholder. A system that one person thinks has synergy might turn out to be hated by another. So you really have to go to a meet and find out what YOU really prefer as opposed to what others prefer.

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you just need to go to a meet that has high end tube amp offerings. I had the MKIII and I wasn't so pleased either. However, that shouldn't lead you to generalize how tube amp fares as the Little Dot series are toward the lower end spectrum of things and your Opera is considered as high end hence the enormous price difference.
wink.gif

Agreed. But I'm pretty sure there's no tube amp up to 1000$ that can compete with it (assuming the Opera is going for 700$ used).

To OP:
I only heard the Aria apart from owning the Opera and it was good (though miles behind the Opera) so i can't comment on the Meier line of amps.
Be 100% sure that these amps are composed of quality components and build and you can't mistake with them.

About the sibilance issue - It's pretty much resolved. Sound is refined and smooth, Though in some sucky recordings you can hear faulties.

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 31
moonboy yeah I guess that is the honest truth man. Its hard to determine synergy without trying the amp and listening to them with the DT880. Problem is unlike cans amps are quite hard to audition, since many of the ones that are recommended are quite hard to find or can only be bought online. I guess I have to look up head-fiers near my area to see if I can audition them.

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #10 of 31
yossi, yeah the Meier amps inspire confidence, as opposed to Little Dot/Darkvoice and what have you. Its just a preconception maybe, but with the Meier amps I'm more confident that nothing will break down on me and I'll get quality components. Any idea if I can get the Opera or the new Symphony without a DAC?

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

I think the Symphony is only offered for sale as a combo.
the analogue version of the opera set out to maximize profits.
FWIW, the ALO Amphora is 95% of the Opera sound.

Have you auditioned the Amphora? I really liked that amp but wasn't able to a/b it with an Opera.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #15 of 31
I have a pair of DT-880's that I am now driving with a Millett Hybrid Max, and I've got to say it sounds absolutely wonderful. If you're interested in detailed impressions you can check out the thread I posted shortly after I received it. I can see how they would respond well to a 100% tube amp though. The increase in midrange warmth and fluidity even with the hybrid was the biggest improvement. There were other improvements, but that was the most dramatic.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mil...1/#post5760231

Edit: Note that my signal chain for the impressions of the Millett Max started with a Jolida JD100 with a tube output stage. Given a warm sound input to the Millett I would not say that it changed the overall signature of the DT880's. Yes the mids got warmer, but they still sound like DT880's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back