Amp for DT880? Bithead?
Jul 22, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 13
The new Bithead is definitely a good match for the DT880. I plug my 04 DT880's and my K701's into it and it really is a good combo

Jul 22, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 13
I cast my vote for the Total Bithead also. It drives my AKG K601;s and AKG K81DJ's just fine. That new gain switch assures you that you'll have the proper amount of gain for any set of cans.

Jul 23, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 13
The TB will drive the phones; no question. However, you didn't mention your source. In my view, the TB is only the "best" choice at that price point if your source is a laptop computer.

If you have a source other than a computer, there are better devices for the money.

Jul 23, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 13
I do most of my music listening at my desktop pc. And I was planning on making use of the DAC.

"If you have a source other than a computer, there are better devices for the money."

What are these other better devices for the money btw?

Jul 23, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanatos
I do most of my music listening at my desktop pc. And I was planning on making use of the DAC.

"If you have a source other than a computer, there are better devices for the money."

What are these other better devices for the money btw?

With a laptop, choices of quality soundcards are quite limited, putting the TotalBithead high on a very short list of alterantives for getting good sound for around $200. Some new laptops are coming with onboard digital out (increasing options), but most have only rather poor quality analogue output only.

With desktops, there are many more PCI soundcard options, some of which reportedly have a pretty decent analogue line out. Since I have a laptop, all I know about this subject comes from what I have read, rather than personal experience. Poking around/posting on the computer as source sub-forum will give you a lot of information about this subject.

What I had in mind when I mentioned better alternatives was a Xin amp (although there are others), IF you already had a standalone DAC or good analogue output from another source.

With a desktop pc, the TotalBithead may or may not be the best solution for you at the $200 pricepoint; it depends on what kind of soundcard you have. I'd try the computer as source forum for more info.

None of this is meant to bash the TotalBithead in any way; I think it is a superb product at it's price.

Jul 23, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117
By the way, what is the sound signature of the bithead? Warm? neutral? What is it?

Neutral, in the typical solid-state fashion. Your headphones will influence the sound far more than the Total Bithead.

Jul 23, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
With a laptop, choices of quality soundcards are quite limited, putting the TotalBithead high on a very short list of alterantives for getting good sound for around $200. Some new laptops are coming with onboard digital out (increasing options), but most have only rather poor quality analogue output only.

With desktops, there are many more PCI soundcard options, some of which reportedly have a pretty decent analogue line out. Since I have a laptop, all I know about this subject comes from what I have read, rather than personal experience. Poking around/posting on the computer as source sub-forum will give you a lot of information about this subject.

What I had in mind when I mentioned better alternatives was a Xin amp (although there are others), IF you already had a standalone DAC or good analogue output from another source.

With a desktop pc, the TotalBithead may or may not be the best solution for you at the $200 pricepoint; it depends on what kind of soundcard you have. I'd try the computer as source forum for more info.

None of this is meant to bash the TotalBithead in any way; I think it is a superb product at it's price.

While I mostly agree with you, you've not mentioned the Total Bithead's most appealing feature - it's portability and versatility. No soundcard can offer that, even it approaches the sonic quality of the Total Bithead. The TBH will give him much better sound now, and, should he go iPod (or other DAP), he'll have an amp that can do double duty extremely well. Plus, its well built and backed by a great company.

Jul 23, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 13
I have used my Bithead with my desktop PC and it definitely beats out my Emu 0404 soundcard with any $100 amp I can think of, so it's still a great value. I also like the fact that it's plug and play with the Bithead, I don't need to load any drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back