Amp for DT770?
Jan 3, 2010 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Headphoneus Supremus
I've tried running the DT770/80 Pro out of my laptop but it sounds so lifeless and actually rather bass deficient. Out of my receivers it doesn't sound bad, I feel a dedicated headphone amp would help though.

Any recommendations? Under $100 is ideal.

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm on the same boat. I also tried it witha FiiO E5, barely made a difference. Right now, the DT770 sounds just like a 25$ pair of headphones for me.

Should I get a USB / Firewire DAC/Souncard or something to get this going?
I don't mind dishing out $, as long as whatever I'm buying is more than just an amp.... (inputs?/outputs?/soundcard replacement?)

EDIT: I bought DT770 to be bass monsters, btw.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 6
bump
o2smile.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 6
Did either of you find a decent amp to power your phones? I haven't really looked too much, and was planning on getting a Zero when I came back to the US, but it seems like they've fallen in popularity.

I still won't be back until end of April, so I have some time to do a little research (though not much time).
I've been recommended the uDAC2. Not sure how they work with the 80ohm DT770, but I was looking for more of a desktop amp than a portable. That way in case I ever upgrade to a higher-end set of phones, I'll have an amp capable of driving them well.

I'm looking at the Sparrow/Fun. Any word on how well these would work with the 80ohm DT770?
I'd really like to be able to keep the price below $250. The sparrow is a DAC/Amp combo at 240, looking good. The Fun is a little more pricey, and I'm not sure if I need the extra.

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 6
I have the uDAC but not the 2. Personally while the UDAC is a nice affordable DAC, it is not something I would recommend to drive the DT770/80. You really need a nice beefy desktop amp for that. Sparrow or FUN should be fine but I have not heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back