Amp for DT770 250 Ohms.
Nov 9, 2016 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

doubleh87

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I recently received DT770 Pro (250 Ohms) as a gift, and I'm willing to spend up to $200 if it's going to noticeably upgrade my listening pleasure. As a player, I've been using iPod (Classic, 5th Gen). But I was always little frustrated since it downsamples everything to 16 bit. As an alternate DAP, I have Galaxy S7 (G930V; Snapdragon version). This is what I'm more inclined to use once I get reasonable devices.

When I plug the cans into iPod, volume is high enough. I do not need louder volume.
When I plug them into S7, volume is too low even with max volume. And I heard their built-in DAC sucks. But with S7, I can play hi-res files.

I tried to find USB DACs for iPod that can bypass the builtin DAC but they are above my budget. (Or can you find cheap one for me?)
On the other hand, there are plenty cheap options for USB DAC/Amp for Android devices.

I always listen to music on bed, so portability is not an issue at all.
I was thinking Schiit Modi+Magni combo, but I'm not sure how well it connects to S7 as it doesn't officially support Android devices.
Another device I have in mind is Fiio E18 which is so cheap even if I have to buy USB Audio Player App and should work with S7 flawlessly. Although E18 is a portable device, I can just plug it into charger and use it as if it's desktop device.. right?
Another possibility would be just getting Fiio X3II, but unless they fix their navigation interface, that won't happen; I choose albums by going into Genre first, but in X3II, as far as I know, when I choose Genre, it displays ALL songs in that genre.

What would be the best choice in the given budget and situation? Am I missing other excellent options?

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 4
How about a Dragonfly Red? Great bit of kit and inexpensive too :)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 4
After many thoughts, I ordered iFi nano iDSD. And you know what? About 5 hours after I placed the order from Amazon for $189, Adorama dropped the price to $150! So I cancelled the Amazon and ordered it from Adorama.

E18's lack of ability to drive DSD and limited frquency of 24/96 PCM were dealbreakers for me. Moreover, no matter how I compare E18 and iDSD, iDSD is a better choice (of course it is more expensive, but since I'm willing to spend $200, it doesn't matter). Dragonfly Red also has the 24/96 cap.

I wish I made a good choice, and as my order arrives, I'll see how it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back