Amp for DT 990 Pro + Xonar DG
Dec 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Xpl0sion

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I just purchased a Xonar DG and a pair of DT 990 250ohms for my desktop setup (strictly gaming + music).  I'm looking to also get an external amp and wanted to solicit some opinions on my best option at around ~$100, and more importantly if I will see a noticeable improvement at that budget.  The amp will be dedicated to my desktop so portability is not a concern.  EDIT -- I should mention I am looking at the Schiit Magni at the moment as my amp choice.

Many thanks in advance

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 4
  I just purchased a Xonar DG and a pair of DT 990 250-Ohms for my desktop setup (strictly gaming + music).  I'm looking to also get an external amp and wanted to solicit some opinions on my best option at around ~$100, and more importantly if I will see a noticeable improvement at that budget.  The amp will be dedicated to my desktop so portability is not a concern.  EDIT -- I should mention I am looking at the Schiit Magni at the moment as my amp choice.

You could also swap out the Xonar DG for a Sound Blaster Z sound card ($60-$80).
May not have as good a headphone amplifier as the Magni, but more powerful then the DG's
The SB-Z does have a better DAC, then the Xonar DG

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 4
  You could also swap out the Xonar DG for a Sound Blaster Z sound card ($60-$80).
May not have as good a headphone amplifier as the Magni, but does have a better DAC

The thing is that I already bought the DG.  I did some searching and it seemed a DG + a good quality amp (I can stretch the budget, if really needed) was a better solution than a more expensive desktop sound card.  Is that not the case?

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 4
Schiit Vali... I am LOVING the Vali with my $30 UAC 202 Dac and my DT 880. From owning the DT 880 and 990 for about a year I can assure you what works for the dt 880 also works very nicely for the DT 990 they both share a simmilar brightness and mids

So again the Schiit Vali $119 without shipping, I paid $137 for mine with shipping! I REALLY REALLY suggest that you give it a try! I feel very strongly that you would enjoy it very much :D

And the Vali sounds even better with my DT 880 out of my HM801, meaning as you upgrade your Dac, the Vali will scale nicely [or sound better, a little better but better! ]

So that said the Vali get it :3 love it and enjoy 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back