Amp for DT 990 - 600 Ohm
Jan 23, 2018 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ProRules

Head-Fier
Hello dear precious audiophils!
I have purchased DT 990 - 600 Ohm chrome ver with valour earpads.
Now only thing i need is an Amp for these.
I'd love to keep the heavy bass, but maybe get more mids and slightly less highs.
I am a quiet loud listener, so i have no idea which one will be good for 600 ohms.

My budget would be around 100-150$ at best, i can buy second hand or brand new w/e you guys recommand me.
I personally prefer Aliexpress if its brand new, due to zero shipping costs (i live outside of the US).
Last but not least, the outlets are 230V 50Hz here.

Thanks a lot to anyone who helps, i truly appericiate the help :)

Btw, I've seen this amp: (your thoughts?)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SMS...40f2860&transAbTest=ae803_5&priceBeautifyAB=2

120mW in 600ohm

Jan 23, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 12
Your best bet with most high ohm Beyers are OTL tube amps,though im not sure if you can get a decent one for your budget.
Perhaps save some money and look into a Bottlehead Crack,Darkvoice 336 or La Figaro 339.

The tubes will help tame the Beyer signature highs and help flesh out the bottom end a bit.

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 12
Your best bet with most high ohm Beyers are OTL tube amps,though im not sure if you can get a decent one for your budget.
Perhaps save some money and look into a Bottlehead Crack,Darkvoice 336 or La Figaro 339.

The tubes will help tame the Beyer signature highs and help flesh out the bottom end a bit.

Uhm a bit expensive with the shipping (due to high weight of the tube amps).
I would generally prefer something to match my setup, something just modern, i mean littledot actualy doesn't look that bad but i've seen some tube amps or hell even digital, that look like its DIY made from scraps.

Any good solid state amp that is a little bit warmer?

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 12
Audio GD makes some amp/DAC combos that are warm....As does Chord,to a lesser extent.Check out the Audio GD R2R-11 and Chord Mojo.

Regardless of which amp you end up buying its only going to lessen the brightness of the Beyer to a small extent.You cannot change the entire sound signature of a headphone by mixing in warm components....it can help,but not change it entirely.I know.I tried.

Ultimately if the highs are too much for your ears then you would be better off getting a different headphone.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 12
Audio GD makes some amp/DAC combos that are warm....As does Chord,to a lesser extent.Check out the Audio GD R2R-11 and Chord Mojo.

Regardless of which amp you end up buying its only going to lessen the brightness of the Beyer to a small extent.You cannot change the entire sound signature of a headphone by mixing in warm components....it can help,but not change it entirely.I know.I tried.

Ultimately if the highs are too much for your ears then you would be better off getting a different headphone.
I realy like the beyers, if anything I'd want from an amp, is just to warm them up a little bit.
I could've taken the dt 880 but honestly, i prefer experience over natural.

I've also noticed quiet a new product from schiit, the Loki.
Could actually help EQ these headphones.
Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 12
I havent used the Loki personally but havent heard too much negative about it,other than people hoping Schiit releases a bigger multi band version.I use vintage receivers to drive many of my high ohm headphones and they have built-in tone control and loudness on/off as well and it can def help improve bass mids and treble depending upon the receiver and headphones.

You could also use a software based EQ which typically will be cheaper and have far greater control and band options over the 4 channel Loki.What software do you use to play your music?

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 12
I havent used the Loki personally but havent heard too much negative about it,other than people hoping Schiit releases a bigger multi band version.I use vintage receivers to drive many of my high ohm headphones and they have built-in tone control and loudness on/off as well and it can def help improve bass mids and treble depending upon the receiver and headphones.

You could also use a software based EQ which typically will be cheaper and have far greater control and band options over the 4 channel Loki.What software do you use to play your music?
Usually Soundcloud, Spotify, and sometimes VLC/Winamp.
Would also game most of the time so its to EQ that internally or is it?

Dang i still don't know which amp to buy, the DT990 will arrive in a week at best so i must think faster lol
Hell i'd even by second hand items if its good.. i realy want to enjoy the hifi as much as i can with my budget right now.
Sadly i am a college student, money is rough but theres nothing better than comming home, and turning on some music to enjoy wether its the HD6xx for more laid back music, or DT990 for more energetic.

May 5, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #9 of 12
Love this thread, HEad-Fi is always helpful :) I also use an audiophile headphones for general listening, though it’s pretty basic and cheap. I would love to upgrade to a premium audiphile or high-end headphone that offers a great listening experience for music etc. After some research I came across this link and would love to get your feedback on these headphones https://www.geekwrapped.com/tech/best-new-audiophile-headphones-reviews Based on your personal expierence: Would you recommend these or not? Thanks

May 7, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 12
Topping A30 vs Magni 3 vs Objective 2?
go magni 3. It is slightly warm with enough power.
By the way Loki is great to tame the highs on The DT990.

May 7, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 12
I have purchased DT 990 - 600 Ohm chrome ver with valour earpads.
Now only thing i need is an Amp for these.
I'd love to keep the heavy bass, but maybe get more mids and slightly less highs.
I am a quiet loud listener, so i have no idea which one will be good for 600 ohms.

My budget would be around 100-150$ at best, i can buy second hand or brand new w/e you guys recommand me.
I personally prefer Aliexpress if its brand new, due to zero shipping costs (i live outside of the US).
Last but not least, the outlets are 230V 50Hz here.

Btw, I've seen this amp: (your thoughts?)

I'd much rather save up just a little bit more for an OTL amp like the Darkvoice DV336se. If you want something closer to your budget and you don't really intend it to be truly high fidelity - ie you already intend to use an amplifier as an equalizer - might as well get the Little Dot Mk2. Maybe later upgrade the tubes.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lit...333e-4f42-bc9c-554823ebe422&priceBeautifyAB=0

https://www.audiobot9000.com/match/beyerdynamic/dt-990-edition-600-ohms/with/little-dot/mk-ii

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back