Amp for DT 770 80ohm
Jul 29, 2015 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

deanolyons

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I currently have my Beyer's paired with the Fiio e17 which is connected to my PC.

I was wondering if there's an amp which will be worth upgrading to? I've read a few people mention the Fiio e10k pairs well with the Beyer's but will that be a sideways step? Should I stick with the e17 for these phones?

All thoughts are welcome :).

Dean.

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 14
Im not sure why no ones answering this. I have DT770 pro 80s. I ran them unamped for a while and they were good. Then I got a Fiio e10 and it made them better, the bass got a bit tighter and it brought out the mids a tad. Though the mids are so recessed that's a relative statement. They were really fine with the E10 but I always felt that they could use more power, though that could just have been my inner Tim Allen coming out. I was going to throw a schiit Magni at them and call it good. Though I never got to do that since I actually got some AKG K7xxs recently and I haven't gotten around to getting a different amp yet.

I honesty don't know a ton about the E17 but I think your right as in its not all that different power/soundwise from the E10. Id almost say get a Magni 2 or Uber if you got the extra 50 bucks. They are well regarded and have more power than you could ever want or use for the DT770s, and honestly for just about any headphone you'd throw at it. Ive never actually heard a Magni with the 770s though, just keep that in mind. I did do a fair bit of research on amps for them though and for the price the mangi seemed like a good bet.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 14
It has the option of tube rolling, which would allow you to tune the sound, a bit, to your personal taste. Various tubes offer various sound signatures and they give an overall warmer more laid-back sound. Tubes for the 1+ are relatively inexpensive and easy to come by. I have been using mine with a set of western electric 408A tubes for over a year and love the sound.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 14
Tube rolling is switching out the tubes for a different tube type or manufacturer. Most tubes offer different sonic difference. I would assume that you should have no problem finding tubes in the UK. Tubes should last anywhere between 5,000 to 10,000 hours or more.

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #12 of 14
Again..never heard tubes with the DT770s its just from what I read..on here....do a search for dt770 and tubes and you'll see, take it from he guy that's heard the combo though not me. I was just curious. That said different tubes act differently Im sure you can find one that sounds good with them. Also it depends on what you like...big bloaty bass may be a good thing to your ears. Me personally I was always looking for something to bring out and clean up the mids as these have plenty of bass but the mids are recessed. Again though my preference...everyone is different. Give it a try worst thing is it sounds like crap and then you just sell it or trade it here...no big deal. Probably wouldn't even lose a lot of money on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back