AMP for Denon D5000 - Harman Kardon AVR335 as amp?
Apr 22, 2010 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MEJazz

New Head-Fier
A newbie needing help! First some background: Being a fan of the D1000, when i found a D5000 at a good price, i grabbed them. Unfortunately like most other folks, i no longer own a true Hi-Fi system in these days. I mainly listen to music through my iPod either through D1000 or in my car. When i switched to D5000, i can notice better sound quality but nothing that would justify spending so much over a D1000/1001. So i figure i needed a headphone amp.

So my first request is for a suggestion for both the best portable amp for D5000 as well as a desktop (higher quality/tube amp).

Second, I do have a HK AVR335 receiver and was wondering how you people would rate it as a headphone amp - if i plug in my D5000 into it and played a blu-ray through them? I can also stream my MP3s and play them through it (i know, quality will be an issue and my DAC will be a PS3).

TIA for your feedback.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 2
Given the wide range of choices for DACs with integrated headphone amplifiers in them, seems like and obvious first step to make into hi-fi audio.
PS3 and a receiver will not do justice to D5000, nor make you feel good about spending a lot more for them (vs D1000).

Do a bit of reading on both the Headphone Amplifier and Dedicated Source components sections so you can have an intro into all this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back