Amp for dedicated use with an iPhone or Galaxy S
Apr 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

StringBoi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to purchase an amp solely for portable use with my current iPhone 4......I'm planning on switching to the Galaxy S4 when it comes out.  I've read in another thread that most amps with DAC's, their DAC's get bypassed by the phones on most models....I'm unsure if this is correct? 

I was looking at the FiiO line and was torn between the e17 and the e12.  I dont know much about the Galaxy S' audio components but would like to take into consideration both use with a iPhone or Galaxy S4.  Would both the iPhone and Galaxy 4 (when I upgrade) both bypass the DAC on the e17?  Would a dedicated amp like the e12 be most beneficial to both phones or would I still get any benefit from the e17 on either one?  I have no plans on using whatever amp I choose with any other components, I will be using just my phone as the source. 

Thanks for your input!

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 16
I have JDS Labs C5 and it's awesome both with iPhone 4S & iPod Classic. Check it out.. It's impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 16
+1 for JDS C5, then in the future you can get a separate DAC if needed.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 16
I bought the iBasso D-Zero to use as a DAC from my MacBook. But the JDS C5 is much better as a stand alone amp, hence the reason I went with that for portable use.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 16
How is the JDS C5 in terms of size.  It looks a bit on the bulky side.  I'd really like something easy to carry with me in my backpack and to use at work.

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 16
It's about the size of an iPod classic. Easily portable

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 16
The JDS labs C5 is anything but bulky.

If you want to go any smaller than that, then the D-Zero would be an option as a portable amp which would also double as a DAC for use with a laptop or a desktop computer. And a good one:

http://headfonics.com/2011/09/the-ibasso-d-zero-think-small-real-small/

http://lewisleong.com/review-ibasso-d-zero-portable-dac-and-amp/

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 16
So is a DAC even necessary for phone use?  I dont know much about phone audio and I was unaware until recently that they even had a DAC in them.....an amp should be sufficient?  I have a different setup for home/desktop use so I'm only concerned with using this with either an iPhone or Galaxy S.

Thanks again for your input!

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 16
So is a DAC even necessary for phone use?  I dont know much about phone audio and I was unaware until recently that they even had a DAC in them.....an amp should be sufficient?  I have a different setup for home/desktop use so I'm only concerned with using this with either an iPhone or Galaxy S.

Thanks again for your input!

A DAC is really meant for listening from a computer or laptop, to bypass the internal sound card / sound components on board. An Amp is the way to go for using an iPhone, iPod or portable listening device.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 16
So what I've been confused about is how these things connect to your phone.   I'm guessing the issue here with having an iPhone and possibly switching to a Galaxy S would be connectivity?  The iPhone would need to connect via the pin port on the bottom, and the Galaxy would connect via USB? 

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 16
Try the Fiio E11 amplifier, its compact and small. It adds tremendous of volume and clarity. It also has a bass booster switch that allows you to increase the bass on your headphones. Check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back