Amp for Darth Beyers?
Jun 2, 2006 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

muckshot

100+ Head-Fier
To all you Beyer lovers: I am looking for a portable amp that has good synergy with the Darth Beyers. I've had a pair of Paduak woodied 770/80s with Blackmax cable for a few weeks now and want to upgrade my rig with something that will bring out the best in these cans. At the moment, I am using a PA2V2 and although I am quite fond of it when paired with my stock 770/80s and my MS-1s, I find it's signature to be too warm and bass heavy for the Darth Beyers. I never thought I'd be looking to tame the bass, I LOVE bass, but for once I need something clean and neutral. These cans are the first I've tried that killed the need for EQing in order to boost the lower frequencies... seriously, they are nuts
basshead.gif

Specifically, I am hoping to find something that can be powered with rechargeable batteries, is fairly compact and (most importantly) will sound good in combo with the already bass heavy Darth Beyers. I am also really interested in picking something up that has a decent crossfeed circuit built in. I contacted a fellow Head-fi member about my little quest and he was kind enough offer up a Meier Porta Corda as an possible solution. I was considering a Hornet, but would prefer to spend a whole lot less (a PINT would fit the bill, except I can't solder and the boards have been pulled) and still have my mind set on something with crossfeed. I would consider a Headroom Bithead/Airhead, except I'd prefer something that is powered with a 9V (or two) so that I could easily drive a pair of Senn 580s or 600/650s should I opt for a set somewhere down the line.

So, what do you guys think? Any help at all would be appreciated, but please don't suggest anything over 300$ US because I might well go for it and then I'll have collection agencies knocking down my door and trying to repossess my lawn furniture
icon10.gif

Thanks

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 10
You may want to see how things turn out with the PPAS. I imagine someone will be building them at some point. You might be able to find a builder for one of AK's PINT kits too. Dual LM6172 configuration on the PINT might give you just what you're looking for.

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
You may want to see how things turn out with the PPAS. I imagine someone will be building them at some point. You might be able to find a builder for one of AK's PINT kits too. Dual LM6172 configuration on the PINT might give you just what you're looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions, I was debating getting someone to build me a PINT, your suggestion for the Op Amp chips is very helpful. I wasn't aware of the work being done to miniaturize the PIMENTAs - but I definitely will keep an eye on the developping PPA project.

Forget the constraints I set out above in my first post, I want to know what you crazy Darth Beyer owners use to power your cans!

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 10
They REALLY sing with the Meier Audio HA-2 MkII/SE. But they also sound terrific with the Meier Audio Corda Aria, which is less than half the price of the HA-2 MkII/SE.

Both are home, non-portable amps though, if that matters.

Jun 2, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
They REALLY sing with the Meier Audio HA-2 MkII/SE. But they also sound terrific with the Meier Audio Corda Aria, which is less than half the price of the HA-2 MkII/SE.

Both are home, non-portable amps though, if that matters.

Well, Jan Meier loves that LM6171, so it sounds like my PINT configuration suggestion would work well, then.

Jun 2, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 10
Glad your enjoying those cans the bass is insane
basshead.gif
I also second the comment about the hornet being the best paired with the Darth Vaders
icon10.gif
brings out the mids and highs without overdoing the bass.

Jun 4, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackexpress
Glad your enjoying those cans the bass is insane
basshead.gif
I also second the comment about the hornet being the best paired with the Darth Vaders
icon10.gif
brings out the mids and highs without overdoing the bass.

Hey Blackexpress! It took me some time to grow into them, at first I found the bass really overwhelming, so much so that it was unsatisfying. After doing a little digging, I found out these HPs hadn't really seen much action, and having had a stock pair of 770-80s for a while (which I purchased new), I figured a little burn-in time might fix things up. Now, after 100+ hours of play time (off my head) they sound much better, much cleaner. Either the bass pulled back or the mid and upper range pulled forward, but they are much better balanced and now sound closer to my stock 770s following a few months of use.

I was skeptical of the whole burn-in thing on HPs, but unless this is placebo effect in a massive auditory dose, I have to say it's undeniable IMO.

Skylab! Thanks for posting. You really like those Meier products eh?
wink.gif
I've been eyeing the Headfive, seems like it's a damn good deal. It's in about the same price range as buying a Porta Corda, so I'm a little torn but I think I still want to go for a portable. We'll see, knowing how this place breaks a guy down, I'll probably have 5 different amps by year end and a really empty stomach.

Regarding PINTs, does anyone know if the design can accommodate a crossfeed circuit? What are the advantages/disadvantages a having a double 9Vs setup versus a single 9V?

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Now, after 100+ hours of play time (off my head) they sound much better, much cleaner. Either the bass pulled back or the mid and upper range pulled forward, but they are much better balanced

This was my experience when I bought a brand new pair of Darth beyers from Larry (meaning the headphones were also new).

Jun 8, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 10
Giving this thread a bump from the abyss, very curious to know what Darth Beyer owners are using to amp these cans. Personally I am in the market for something portable and any suggestions to this effect would be helpful, but any insight on amps with good synergy would be illuminating; deskptop, transportable, 50 pound monsters, whatever it be, jot it down.

So far we've got 2 of Meier's products and one from Ray Samuels...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back