Amp for both SR325's and HD600's?
Nov 8, 2003 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

marmul

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for an amp that would suit both my Senn HD600's and my Grado SR325's. Is there such an animal? My budget is also on the lower end so please be gentle.

Nov 8, 2003 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 8
I would suggest one of the Ray Samuels Emmeline amps. Either the HR-2 or the portable XP-7 would do a fine job, IMHO. I've heard a variety of cans with both, including higher and lower impedence cans like the ones you asked about. Needless to say, I was impressed with the results.

Nov 8, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 8
There is of course...always the RA-1
smily_headphones1.gif
$350 new I believe...can be haggled down to $300, and often found used for 200-250
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 8
I'll echo the suggestion for an RA-1, quite a good combination with the sennheisers, and even though I hate the sr-325s, it would still match up well.
Secondly, you may want to consider a META42, which would perhaps offer more "bang for the buck" than a RA-1.

Nov 8, 2003 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 8
The MG-Head OTL. This may seem like an off the wall suggestion, but Grado cans sound very good with it if you use the transformer mode w/ feedback switch on. Of course the HD580/600's sound great with the MG-Head OTL.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 8
My 325's sound AWESOME with my new Headsave Tempo PIMETA. I have not tried the HD600's so I can't comment on that combo.

Nov 10, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Before I bought the Perreax I had been using a new Headroom Little and I must say tha for the pirice it is a very good amp. Maybe a little lean sounding but everythings still clear. I also have the SR325's and the HD600's and I think that the little did a fine job of powering the Senns. Music through it sounded good, unfortunately I didnt get to spend a lot of time with the SR325s because I had them for a week before I got my Perreax but my initial impressions were pretty good. The price is only $269 new and u can probably find them for a lot cheaper used. O yea, the crossfeed was also pretty nice but it added to the leaness it had which may be a bad thing or a good thing depending on what u like. Dont rule it out though! Its a Great little amp! Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back