Amp for both HD650 and K701. LD MK III?
Jun 7, 2008 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Snicewicz

500+ Head-Fier
Well once I sell my HHF-1, I plan on picking up HD650s, K701s and another amp.

I have heard that the 701s respond great to tubes and I have heard that some tubes make the 650 way too dark. Is there an amp with not too expensive tube rolling where I could achieve good synergy from both phones?

I was thinking LD MKV would be great for the 650 and the MK III would be great for the K701.

Would both of these options be good? Or any other options? I would like to keep it around 300.

Thanks

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 10
The MKIII works very well with 650's, and, as I have read, can also drive the 701's. If you can spend the extra cash, consider the MKIV. Re-read through Penchum's reviews of these amps for the finer details. As for tube rolling, I do not believe I have spent more than a few dollars for a tube.

Jun 7, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 10
I can't recommend the Darkvoice 336i enough as far as a tube amp with good range of tube rolling options as well as being suitable for the HD650 and K701.

You'll find heaps of loooooong threads in these pages regarding the 336i and what results you can achieve from tube rolling.

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 10
I just ordered the LD MK III with the same question in mind. In the beginning I didn't really know which way to as I hadn't even decided which phone to buy. I was even considering pretty far in the SS department (Graham Slee Solo, GS-1) when I finally figured that this a budget I can't cope with, especially with also a portable rig in mind.
So I ended up going budget-wise with LD. And I'll probably buy a K701 next month. On based what I've read the combination works OK. And OK is enough for me for now. Darkvoice was out of question for me because of the almost $200 USD higher price tag.

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 10
Let me just say, IMO of course, MKV + K701 = heaven. The combo is just spectacular. Plenty of power, great detail with good balance. Highs are just right along with sweet mids and the bass is tight and detailed. I feel nothing wanting. The MKV also sounds good with my HD600's.

I have a MKIII also and it does a great job powering either headphone. It gives a liquid mid to the music (cliche I know but true). It nicely smooths out the music, gives it good tone and is just chill to listen to while the MKV is more detailed and seperating.

If I had to choose one I would go with the MKV. You can not go wrong with it's power and neutrality. Then get the MKIII when you can. The MKIII as preamp and MKV as amp plays to each others strengths.

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 10
Hey guys. I am still a little confused when comes to comparing power output between tube and solid state amps. GordonFreeman said that the MK V has more power than the MK III but the MK V only puts out 187mW into 300 ohms whereas the MK III puts out 350mW into 300 ohms. Further confusing me is the fact that the MK V puts out 500mW into 32 ohms while the MK III only musters 100mW. What am I missing? Because I am certain that I am missing something.

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 10
It does when driving your 701s but for the 650s it will have less, however, since the 701 is more power hungry than the 650 then that would be my choice for those two sets of cans. Its not always like that but that is one basic difference between SS and Tubes.

MK III provides more power for high impedance headphones like the 650 and,

the MK V provides more power for low impedance headphones like the 701.

Ironic thing is that while the 701 is thirsty for SS power, it has better synergy with tubes (IMO) than SS amps because they are a tad bright and benefit from the smooth tube sound. Thats why alot of people say the 701s need a monster amp like a SinglePower or Zana Deux and so on. I usually end up spending more time with my 650s so Im not worried about my 701s They sound better with paticular albums I have but for an all around headphone for everything the 650 is my favorite, I can listen for hours and get no fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back