Amp for both HD600's and CD3000's
May 5, 2004 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Rink111

Head-Fier
I currently have a Cambridge azure cd player and HD600's with a meta42 is all. I have read numerous threads on the cd3000's and they seem like they may be the more in your face attack I want. But I would like to try a $200-$400 amp with my azur and Hd600's before I attempt to buy the sonys if I still do not like them. Does anyone have some suggestions for an amp that would do well with both? Thanks!

~Is my source not good enough for the revealing sonys?

May 5, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 20
The Singlepower PPX3 amp is a little over your budget at $465, but is known to work very well with both headphones. I love mine, and I use it with HD600s. IIRC, Mikhail (the guy who runs Singlepower) uses CD3000s and optimizes his amps to work well with them so I imagine the PPX3 would work fine for them too. You can visit his site at http://www.6sn7.com or email him at info@singlepower.com and I'm sure he can let you know how it would work with both amps.

May 5, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 20
I would go with PPA and Step PSU. I have great results with CD3K and HD650 w/ silver dragon. PPA is a very versatile amp and can be customized to your liking.

May 5, 2004 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 20
The Antique Sound Labs OTL32 works VERY good with both headphones. You might check and see if www.upscaleaudio.com is still closing them out.
I will be hearing the CD3000 with the PPX3 along with the senns. tomorrow thanks to purk and sacd lover, I will post my impressions.
600smile.gif

May 5, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rink111
what did you think tom?

I won't know until tomorrow. Then sacd lover, purk, stargirlga, and myself can all give you opinions of what we thought. I will respond with headphones on and tell you what I think.
600smile.gif

May 6, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 20
some transportable amplifier ...

someone here has been saying that the cosmic reference pair well and magically with senn hd650 .

sugano-san says the maxed out larocco pocket reference is a GREAT match to the senn hd650 , concerning sound portability , functions and more ... he describe it as a very strong and deep bass sounding yet very very detailed amp .

May 7, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rink111
Thanks! I'll be waiting.... and while I am, do the HD650's have more attack than the 600's? Other amp suggestions?

Here are my two choices from yesterdays mini-meet. The Singlepower PPX3 and the PPA with upgraded power supply both are FANTASTIC amps. The PPX3 is a little more powerful and hits hard like a big dog. this amp had balls. Plus its just a really lot of fun to listen to. (all music was good) The PPA is a much more refined and the smoothest SS amp I've heard for headphones! Tons of detail and a balanced sound that is addicting. The PPA runs 2-3 hundred more than the PPX3. (and worth it) Both amps are well worth there asking price. The amps were run off of Sony 555ES with 627 opamps mod done by Purk, and a 222ES with the mods package from sacdmods.com I think the 222 with the sacdmods was the nicer player.
Later that night I had a chance to spend 2-3 hours with the PPX3 hooked up to sacd lovers philips 963SA that was modified and really had a good time with this combo. If I was you I would feel more than happy to get either one of these amps to go with your CD3000 and HD600. I didn't have a 600 on hand but had the 580 jubilee and 650 with the following cables.
Zu Mobius, oerlbach(spelling ?), Silver Dragon, stock cables. Also had the CD3000. Two great amps that would make anyone proud!
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 20
Thanks for the impressions Tom, looks like both amps deserve some serious consideration. I definitely have my heart set on one of the amps from Singpower's line up.

May 7, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #12 of 20
Say Waru, just curious if you were still using the nice wood Meta42 I sold ya last year, or have you sold it?

I'm still OK with my Headsave Meta42, but then again I've got a budget source as well (and just not listening to music as much as I used to either).

May 8, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Say Waru, just curious if you were still using the nice wood Meta42 I sold ya last year, or have you sold it?

I'm still OK with my Headsave Meta42, but then again I've got a budget source as well (and just not listening to music as much as I used to either).

Yes I do still have that wood Meta42 and it sounded great with my CD3K's. Since I've purchased a Perreaux I haven't been using the Meta42 as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back