Amp for beyerdynamic t90
Jan 14, 2017 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sonic7381

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for an amp around the hundred dollar mark for a set of beyerdynamic t90's that I am planning on ordering in the next few days. Before I decided on the t90 I wanted a magni 2, but now I'm worried it will be a bit too harsh with the t90. I just feel like there is a massive quality drop-off to go to a bravo v2 just for a warm tube sound. I'm very inexperienced and building my first REAL audiophile setup. I have listened to friends and like an analytical sound and amps with a dark background, which both the beyerdynamic and the magni have, I'm just worried about it becoming overly harsh or sibilant in the treble. Any suggestion are helpful. I already have a nice neutral dac coming in for those wondering.
Thanks,
Adam

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 10
Given that those are 250 Ohms, if I remember correctly, you're going to need something with decent power output to effectively drive them. 

In all honesty, the Schiit Magni/Modi stack is probably your best option for the $100 range you are looking at.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 10
For a budget of $100, check out the Bravo Audio Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier ($80?).

Or if your will to up your budget, $215-$250
Darkvoice 336SE tube amp.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 10
Looking for an amp around the hundred dollar mark for a set of beyerdynamic t90's that I am planning on ordering in the next few days. Before I decided on the t90 I wanted a magni 2, but now I'm worried it will be a bit too harsh with the t90. I just feel like there is a massive quality drop-off to go to a bravo v2 just for a warm tube sound. I'm very inexperienced and building my first REAL audiophile setup. I have listened to friends and like an analytical sound and amps with a dark background, which both the beyerdynamic and the magni have, I'm just worried about it becoming overly harsh or sibilant in the treble. Any suggestion are helpful. I already have a nice neutral dac coming in for those wondering.

Darkvoice DV336. Go on Massdrop and get it while it's there.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 10
the DV336 is pretty nice.. although twice the OP's budget (assuming he gets it on MD ..more than that if not).

and of course then you want to buy replacement tubes (well you don't have to but if  you are like everyone else with the DV you will)

maybe the little dot 1+ ($115~ on amazon) if you want to stay more in budget.

I got the DV336 for xmas and I am very happy with it (now running vintage RCA 6SN7GT and GE 6AS7GA) w/ my DT880's.

I do not think the magni maybe the best amp for the T90's which are kinda bright to start with?? 

Here is a dark horse Idea (if you have the desire to hunt and the desk space).. before I got my DV I had been using a vintage Kenwood receiver KR-V106R to drive my DT880's the kenwood has a nice warm headphone stage.. it was / is a good match w/ the beyers ..at least to my ears..

many times thrifts or craigslist or whatever can be a place to find such items ..I paid $20 for the kenwood  .. there are downsides .. you need to find them and find out if they work and possibly do some control cleaning and they take up space..but vintage stereo gear can be pretty nice headphone amps.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for that, that is a but of a crazy idea, and it could be an option. I wish I could get the dark voice guys, but it's double my budget and that could go up to 250 easily if I start rolling tunes. That ones out,

I was hoping maybe for a little dot 1+ but I just missed the drop on massdrop but if I buy it full price I'm going to have to spend another 20-50 on tunes which again puts me pretty far out of my budget...

I was looking at the bravo but I just feel like that's a massive step down from the quality of the schiit or the little dot for just a bit better sound. I might just wait a little bit and see if the little dot shows up on massdrop again but in the mean time any options for a warm solid state amp or hybrid would be awesome. Thanks for all the replys guys.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for that, that is a but of a crazy idea, and it could be an option. I wish I could get the dark voice guys, but it's double my budget and that could go up to 250 easily if I start rolling tunes. That ones out,

I was hoping maybe for a little dot 1+ but I just missed the drop on massdrop but if I buy it full price I'm going to have to spend another 20-50 on tunes which again puts me pretty far out of my budget...

I was looking at the bravo but I just feel like that's a massive step down from the quality of the schiit or the little dot for just a bit better sound. I might just wait a little bit and see if the little dot shows up on massdrop again but in the mean time any options for a warm solid state amp or hybrid would be awesome. Thanks for all the replys guys.

You could also check the For Sale forums on here and see if you can find yourself an even better deal. I have found several source components for great prices on here. Often times, Massdrop items are sold on the forums after owners decide to sell them as well.

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 10

How do you know the Bravo Ocean is a big step down from the Schiit or the LittleDot 1+?
I myself do not really see much negative feedback on the Bravo Ocean.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 10
It has a high noise floor, which drives me nuts, so that immediately rules it out for me. Then you have the fact that it can't drive iems, which I will most likely be purchasing when I go to college in a couple of years, plus I feel better ordering from an American company so if something goes wrong I'm not dealing with a crappy Chinese company like i had to last time.

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 10
  It has a high noise floor, which drives me nuts, so that immediately rules it out for me. Then you have the fact that it can't drive iems, which I will most likely be purchasing when I go to college in a couple of years, plus I feel better ordering from an American company so if something goes wrong I'm not dealing with a crappy Chinese company like i had to last time.

Sometimes the O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifer is sold by Massdrop.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-amplifier

You might find a used O2 (Objective 2) or used Magni, with in your budget (eBay?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back