Amp for Beyerdynamic dt250-250ohm
Jun 1, 2004 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

leftistelf

Head-Fier
I'm looking for an headamp under $500 (but I could be induced to spend more) to power a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250-250 (250 ohm) headphones. I'd like a discreet looking amp as this is for office use and I don't want the janitorial staff walking off with it. Tube or SS, I don't really care as I enjoy both, although SS would be easier in the office.

Thanks!

Jun 2, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 8
How about Corda HA-2. Used one goes for $500 and it sounded great w/ Beyer.

Jun 3, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 8
The HeadAmp Gilmore Lite is well under that price while the V2 is a bit over it. I haven't heard them but seem to remember some postings saying they sound good and the Lite would be pretty discrete.

Jun 3, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 8
The Beyers I tested, in that setup of course and in my personal opinion, sounded better with the HA-1 than the lite .. simply "richer", fuller midrange. But given the price difference, that doesn't really say much. You get what you pay for - only if you get Grados and a Lite, you get more
wink.gif

-Taurui

Jun 3, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 8
Regarding the Gilmore amps and the Corda, I'm hearing two things: some say the Corda is better because it offers more midrange body, while others say the Gilmore amps are simply more neutral, because they don't add any midrange mud. Is this dependent on the 'phones?

At its price point, I think the Lite has little competition. But if you're allowed to consider a used Corda, you might also try looking for a used Gilmore V2. Which would you choose?

I'm very interested in this discussion because I have a new Beyerdynamic DT 880, currently driven from the headphone jack of my NAD receiver.

=davebot=

Jun 4, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 8
saint.panda compared his own Lite and his own DT880s with a HA-1 and liked the HA-1 better. For details on this phone and those amps, ask him (I think that he's away at the moment though).

-Taurui

Jun 4, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by davebot
At its price point, I think the Lite has little competition. But if you're allowed to consider a used Corda, you might also try looking for a used Gilmore V2. Which would you choose?

And interestingly enough a V2 just went up for sale for 370 + shipping from a long time member so it becomes rather interesting.
tongue.gif
I haven't heard any of the Meier Audio amps so I can't compare the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back