Amp for B&W DM550's
Sep 28, 2006 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gsk3

New Head-Fier
I just bought some B&W DM550's off of Craigslist for $90. As I'm entirely set up for headphones other than these, I need an amp. My main reason to buy these was for sleep-time listening--HD580's are just a wee bit too big for comfortable listening in bed. The source will be 320kbps VBR LAME-encoded MP3s coming out of either an iPod nano or my computer (probably via an older Bithead, although I do have an Audigy1 I could throw in there).

Everyone always talks about the T-Amp, and $30 sounds mighty good. Will it drive these things though? I don't need it to be ear-shatteringly loud--I live in an attic studio with hardwood floors (and slanted ceilings, for that matter), and as I said my primary use will be bedtime listening, although it also needs to be able to be heard anywhere in the room at moderate volumes as well.
Other than that, it seems my options in the under-$50 range basically come down to Sony/Onkyo/etc. mainstream receivers used off of CL (not a fan of eBay). The guy I bought these from had it hooked up to a mainstream receiver, and it sounded great, but I'm quite sure there's more to be had here....

So questions:
1. Will the T-Amp work?
2. Are there any options I haven't considered in the under-$50 range?

Sensitivity listed in the manual is 87dB (2.83V, 1m); Impedance is nominal 8ohm, not falling below 4ohm; "Suitable for amplifiers between 10W and 75W output."

Thanks,
Ari

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

1. Will the T-Amp work?

Yes

Quote:

2. Are there any options I haven't considered in the under-$50 range?

Not that I can think of. $50 is not much for an amp or even a receiver.

Sep 28, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
Yes.
Not that I can think of. $50 is not much for an amp or even a receiver.

Good to know. I'm considering the Craigslist option as well, as there seem to be some decent options in my price range.

Thanks guys,
Ari

Users who are viewing this thread

Back