Amp for Audio Technica ATH-AD500's?
Jul 2, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dangerous thing about ignoring him is that you can't call him on his BS when newbies ask questions, so there isn't someone offering a second opinion.

QFT.

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely sounds like placebo. See if you can find a friend to blindfold you and present the same music to you with both phones randomly placed on your head for at least 20 trials. I'd be willing to bet the iPod I'm selling that you couldn't distinguish them correctly at a greater-than-chance level. :O)

Hmmm..... I agree with everyone else, You're a moron.

I may be a newb to Head-fi, and to a lesser extent, "audiophile quality" headphones, but I'm not a newb to my own ears. I've been listening to them for 32 years. I have both headphones sitting right here next to me on my desk. I'd been using the AD500's for 5-6 months, so I was used to what I was hearing from them. I noticed a difference immediatley when putting the AD700's on my head. For you to tell me what I'm hearing is a placebo is just plain ignorant.

Anyways, I've still got alot of listening to do to really get an good piture of these AD700's. One things for sure, I can certainly tell the difference between a 260kbps MP3 and a 320kbps one. Now I have to go through my collection and weed out all the 320> songs.
confused_face.gif

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #33 of 37
I took some pictures just now. I hope its ok to post them.

700's on the left, 500's on the right.
DSC00900.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00904.jpg

The 700's do have a much beefier metal plug than the 500's.

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #34 of 37
I've always wondered how easy it would be to change out the grills from the AD500 to the AD700.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #35 of 37
give us some more comparisons please. i had both and thought they sounded very much alike. used mainly for heavily eq'd gaming sessions. my hearing opinion might be skewed as i had been through some higher end cans by the time i tried the ad700. when i got the ad500 it was my 1st headfi purchase! (had a few senns b4 that)

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #36 of 37
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely sounds like placebo. See if you can find a friend to blindfold you and present the same music to you with both phones randomly placed on your head for at least 20 trials. I'd be willing to bet the iPod I'm selling that you couldn't distinguish them correctly at a greater-than-chance level. :O)

you are a prick and a smiley face doesn't make any difference. Just because you think all headphones are essentially the same other than differences in personal taste doesn't make you some sort of anti-hero legend around here. Is it so inconvceivable to you that one MIGHT be better than another and most people who have pitted them head to head prefer the AD700 might be right? Can you stop talking about a headphone (the AD500) that you've NEVER heard as if you're some sort of weird authority about it and how it compares to the AD700?

Sorry if that was harsh, but that was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back with regards to your inane and totally useless posts about how all differences in headphones are either preference or imagined.

For a long time I wondered why you were on so many poster's ignore list, but I think I get it now.

From a fresh 3rd party's perspective: he is not the one being a "prick" here.  Generally, if someone starts calling names in a thread...

It's actually a very good idea, particularly interesting given we have someone who has both these headphones.  I would very much like to know what happens if the OP would be willing to ask a friend to help him do that little listening test of comparing the 500 vs 700 without knowing which is which.  It'd not only be interesting, but quite useful to those of us looking for headphones to use for PC gaming in particular.

If we look at the FR measurements of the AD500 & AD700 on headphone.com we can see that there is certainly some difference between the two.  But I'd like to see how people described the difference based on their listening experience without knowing which one they were listening to, without knowing which one cost more, etc.  If I could afford to buy both I would do that and I would do this test I'm talking about even if it was just to satisfy my own curiosity, but I know it would me a lot more than that to a lot of other people in a similar situation as this: "wondering is it worth $40 more to get the AD700 or just go with the AD500 (currently $59, but I've read a few people say they got them on sale for $30 :O !).  

Of course, "worth $40" more is pretty subjective and will vary a lot depending on which person is doing the buying.  Regardless, what the person whom  you called "prick" asked is quite reasonable and would be very much appreciated.

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #37 of 37
Quote:
I've always wondered how easy it would be to change out the grills from the AD500 to the AD700.

I would absolutely LOVE it if somebody switched the drivers between AD500 & AD700 and did a public listening test at a show somewhere: "We'd like you to listen to these two different headphones and gives us some feedback as to how the sound compares between them".

If you left the price sticker on the AD700 box, id' bet you money that more people would "prefer" the ones they thought were the AD700s :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back