Amp for Audeze el-8's?
Sep 2, 2016 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mtbfan101

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

Just auditioned and absolutely fell in love with the Audeze el-8s. Now they sound great out of my iPhone, but I definitely think they improve with an amp. At least, that is how it seemed when I auditioned them on different sources.

Anyways what would y'all recommend for these? The bass, while sounding incredible, isn't overly impactful. Anything to punch the bass up a notch? Honestly other than that I wouldn't change a thing about these cans, and even if that couldn't be "remedied" I'd be 10/10 on happiness with these. Just trying to bump it up to 11 :sunglasses:.

I'd read on one post that the Schiit Audio's Vali sounds great with these. Truthfully, I'm not looking to pay more than $200.00. I'm fine with buying used!

Can't wait to hear what y'all say!

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 12
I love the EL-8o as well. I have several amps and I'm still working my way thru giving them all a chance, I usually find myself using the cans without an amp because they sound so good. I find myself drawn to these when I go on the road even though, as open cans, I know they aren't practical on a plane or in the airport. I'm going to try them with my VE Runabout 2.0, which has sounded great with everything I have, Mojo, DFR, and my new Jotenheim. All these comparisons take time, which is the resource I have the least of. I'll let you know if anything gets magical.

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 12
I love the EL-8o as well. I have several amps and I'm still working my way thru giving them all a chance, I usually find myself using the cans without an amp because they sound so good. I find myself drawn to these when I go on the road even though, as open cans, I know they aren't practical on a plane or in the airport. I'm going to try them with my VE Runabout 2.0, which has sounded great with everything I have, Mojo, DFR, and my new Jotenheim. All these comparisons take time, which is the resource I have the least of. I'll let you know if anything gets magical.

That sounds great! Thanks for the response!

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 12
Does anyone have experience with the Sony PHA-1? I have an IPhone 6s and by the sounds of it the Sony can hook right up to to the Lightning connector with a lightning to USB chord. Anyone think this would pair well with the El8's?

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #5 of 12
Why not get the Audeze Cipher Cable, the cable itself has a DAC/AMP and a mic, no need to worry about battery or loosing rubber band

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1171402&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6am-BRCTk4WZhLfd4-oBEiQA3ydA3rW2tL9FKI-1JgTWt8rTCPLmV9W65eFa8eafQ_0i0fMaAloy8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C91438732682%2C&A=details&Q=

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 12
Willywill, thanks for that! I have not seen buying those seperatly as an option--super cool. This might just fit the bill. I'll reiterate how great these sound coming straight out of the iPhone, so by adding the inline DAC/amp I can't imagine why it wouldn't sound better. Do you think they sell a version of this cord that can plug into the Lightning port?

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 12
Willywill, thanks for that! I have not seen buying those seperatly as an option--super cool. This might just fit the bill. I'll reiterate how great these sound coming straight out of the iPhone, so by adding the inline DAC/amp I can't imagine why it wouldn't sound better. Do you think they sell a version of this cord that can plug into the Lightning port?

This will only go to the Lightning port so you can't charge your phone and have the headphone on. If you want to do both you need to buy a splitter

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 12
This will only go to the Lightning port so you can't charge your phone and have the headphone on. If you want to do both you need to buy a splitter

Now you'll have to excuse my ignorance because I know two things: one is that I love good sound and the other is that I know absolutely nothing about the devices that make said good sound. With that out of the way, when I checked out the link you sent me it looked like the other end of the cable came with a male end that fit into the aux port of the iPhone rather then a piece that slides into the Lightning port. It also looks like it comes with a larger male end adapter to fit over the smaller fixed aux end piece. Could you help clarify this for me? Thanks so much!

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 12
I'd still love to hear anyone's opinion on the Sony PHA-1 or the Schiit Audio Vali with the a low impedence headphone needing a little extra bass punch like the el-8's.

I also contacted Audeze customer service to see if their el-8 Titanium cable can be used interchangeably with the el-8 open back. Haven't heard anything yet, but having the inline amp/DAC that matches up to the Lightning poet would be sweet!

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 12
I tried out the EL-8 and it was superb. I have the PHA-1A, and auditioned it with the Sine and it liked higher vol on hi gain, didn't have it with me when i tried the EL-8, but I was very impressed with the Sine so if their comparable in power needs it would be a good match. It's perfect, in a lesser domain with my Sony mid range cans, and i might well pull the trigger on the Sine's or even the 8, and use them with it. I cycle and don't walk so feel the 8 would be impractical outside the home for me.

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #11 of 12
Jackson, thanks so much! The sine's and the el8 are pretty darn comparable in impedance--something like a 10 ohm difference. That inspires some confidence to get the PHA-1A

It's funny how many bad reviews the el8's have gotten. All of the bad ones being when they first came out. At one point last year they discontinued their original batch and revoiced almost their whole line, el8's included. Now I don't think a lot of head fi'ers give the el8's the time of day because of the bad reviews in the beginning. That's a shame. They truly sound amazing.

Thanks again for your response!

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 12
Your welcome! Only had me A-15 when I tried the 8's, and it was delicious, so me PH is lying in the wings awaiting the awaited expenditure.Hopefully before it comes orf the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back