Amp for AKG k712
Oct 9, 2015 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

xAk MoRRoWiNdx

New Head-Fier
I posted in the gamong forum also, but I play on my xboxs all the time and was wondering what amp or amp/dac would be good to power the K712s for music listening and playing? Thanks!

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 6
Any quality DAC/amp would not offer any surround sound features, so it would be basic two-channel audio, with gaming consoles.

Where as something like the Astro Mix-amp, would provide headphone surround sound, but not as good audio quality.
And you would need to daisy chain an extra amplifier off the Astro, for driving the K712.

What would you budget, for a DAC/amp?

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 6
And I don't fully know what you mean by "surround sound" like Dolby 7.1? I just know that from everywhere I've read, k712s have phenomenal positional sounds so the surround sound seems kinda bogus

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 6
I don't want to spend more than $60, $100 max. As I don't actually have the headphones yet, this is going to dig into my wallet severely.

For console gaming, you might consider spending less on the headphones and a little more for a DAC/amp.
Nothing against the K712, I have the AKG K7XX and they are currently my preferred open headphone.
But for headphones like the K712, you really want to budget well over $100 for an amplifier to drive them, at their best.

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 6
And I don't fully know what you mean by "surround sound" like Dolby 7.1? I just know that from everywhere I've read, k712s have phenomenal positional sounds so the surround sound seems kinda bogus

Need to start out with 6 (5.1) or 8 (7.1) channels of digital audio for surround sound, for headphones.
Quality DACs can usually only take in 2-channels (stereo) of digital audio, so 2 channels into the DAC, then 2-channels set off to the headphones.
(now some people are fine gaming in stereo audio)
Where as "gaming" DACs (Astro Mix-amp) will take in 6-channels of audio, to be processed into 2-channels of headphone surround sound, which is what goes to the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back