Amp for AKG K701s
Feb 23, 2006 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

g1981c

Head-Fier
the features / performance specs that i am after are:

1 - ability to drive any dynamic headphone ( but especially K701 ) to 120 db or to death ( whichever comes first )

2 - low THD + N

3 - balanced inputs ( i would really like to have this, because my source(s) have balanced outputs )

4 - rugged and compact functional metal construction ( there is no need for headphone amp to be bigger than about half rack width )

5 - i would prefer internal power supply with 3-pronged power cord.

i am currently waiting for a backorder of AKG 701 and would like to buy an amp for them by the time they ship.

thanx in advance.

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 89
What is your budget? There a few balanced amp options out there but they all start at about $1,000.

Headamp GS-X $1600
Headroom Max Balanced $4,000
Dynahi ~$1500 (actually I have no idea)

There's many more but that's a start.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
What is your budget? There a few balanced amp options out there but they all start at about $1,000.

Headamp GS-X $1600
Headroom Max Balanced $4,000
Dynahi ~$1500 (actually I have no idea)

There's many more but that's a start.

well no, you will have to do better than that because for $975 i can get Benchmark DAC1 which is a source AND a headphone amp ... and im reasonably certain that you will never get even close to its quality with a Headroom Max Balanced.

you have to realize one simple thing -- it costs about 50 bucks to build a state of the art headphone amp so beyond that price point there is little correlation between cost and sound quality. sound quality is mostly a function of talent of the designer, so when an id1ot builds an amp and puts it into a huge box with big volume knob and a matching price tag that doesnt make it sound any better.

and let me make something clear. i see nothing wrong with people charging $4000 for something that costs $20 to build, if i thought that was wrong i would move to cuba or something. however, i want to get the best sound for my money, thats the bottom line.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by g1981c
and im reasonably certain that you will never get even close to its quality with a Headroom Max Balanced.

i've heard both, and the Headroom max is a hell of a lot better than the Benchmark as both an amp and as a dac. the only problem is that the max dac only feeds the max amp.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 89
Quote:

you have to realize one simple thing -- it costs about 50 bucks to build a state of the art headphone amp so beyond that price point there is little correlation between cost and sound quality. sound quality is mostly a function of talent of the designer, so when an id1ot builds an amp and puts it into a huge box with big volume knob and a matching price tag that doesnt make it sound any better.

oh, i get it, we have a troll here. why don't you price out the build cost on something like a dynahi and get back to us.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 89
Quote:

well no, you will have to do better than that because for $975 i can get Benchmark DAC1 which is a source AND a headphone amp ... and im reasonably certain that you will never get even close to its quality with a Headroom Max Balanced.

and let me make something clear. i see nothing wrong with people charging $4000 for something that costs $20 to build, if i thought that was wrong i would move to cuba or something. however, i want to get the best sound for my money, thats the bottom line.

1) Have you ever built an amp?

2) Are you saying the guys at headroom are idiots?

3) What makes you think a Headroom Max Balanced will never get close to a Benchmark DAC1 in terms of quality?

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #7 of 89
Quote:

you have to realize one simple thing -- it costs about 50 bucks to build a state of the art headphone amp so beyond that price point there is little correlation between cost and sound quality.

How about a cmoy?

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #8 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
the only problem is that the max dac only feeds the max amp.

yes, i am a firm believer in the modular approach. there is every reason to believe that DAC technology will advance faster than amplifier technology so i would much rather not go for both in the same box.

all i know is that i have a 2400 watt RMS power amplifier which sounds clean as water. and it only cost me $900.

so when somebody will try to sell me a 1 watt amplifier for 3 times as much money im not gona fall for it.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #10 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
How about a cmoy?

i would prefer something more industrial in quality. since this is not for portable use i would much rather have something physically indestructible, extruded aluminum lets say.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #11 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Win0ver
3) What makes you think a Headroom Max Balanced will never get close to a Benchmark DAC1 in terms of quality?

because you cannot improve on perfection.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #12 of 89
Well it sounds like you've already made your choice and you're quite closed minded on any other option out there, so why did you come here asking for suggestions? And for what its worth, $50 won't buy parts for more than a cmoy, maybe a mint.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #13 of 89
Quote:

because you cannot improve on perfection.

I'm confused. I just checked your profile and you already have a DAC1. Doesn't that meet all the specs you outlined in your original post?? I haven't any idea what you're looking for or expect to find, especially given your feelings about price.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #14 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcshaggy2
Well it sounds like you've already made your choice and you're quite closed minded on any other option out there, so why did you come here asking for suggestions? And for what its worth, $50 won't buy parts for more than a cmoy, maybe a mint.

no im not even close to having made a choice. the headphone amplifier that i need to buy is not for me, its a present. i already own Benchmark DAC1, but i cannot get one for the person in question because they dont have a digital source, plus i hope to spend quite a bit less than $975.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back