Amp for AKG K501.....
Feb 27, 2004 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hartphoto

500+ Head-Fier
Thanks to Head-Fi....the upgraditis is going semi-haywire lately.

Started with E3c for my iPod, then added a used Meta42 (bought here) into the mix, then just (early this week) bought a set of AKG K501s (headroom) for my mediocre home system. The K501s, IMO, are very nice 'phones. I like the accurate representation. They're still 'breaking in'.

The Meta42 is having a rough time pushing the 120 ohm K501s. Have to go to almost 75% voume vs. about 20-30% on the 29 ohm E3c.

Is it worth looking at changing things for the Meta42?

Or, should I just go with a new amp? And...if I do.....I was thinking a maxed out PPA (DIY) with bass boost, etc. or some type of DIY tube amp.

$500-$600 is max on looking for a DIY kit....or for one that I have to buy all the pieces parts myself. Not in the biggest of hurries, and not worried about problems on taking on this level of project (ex EE some 10+ years ago). The thing I don't have is time in the schedule to audition many amps or wait for a meet.

So....I've been spending mucho time reading the PPA threads (and site), as well as searching the K501 threads (to see what others are using), and some of the Mapletree threads. Can't decide which to do so....

My goal is to give a little more 'oomph' to the low end of the K501 while retaining it's sound signature (not looking for 'thump') while amping it properly. I know it may be less $ to change to a different 'phone, but that's not the path I want.... I want to build something
biggrin.gif

Suggestions?

Thanks Much!

ps. Didn't know whether to post this in the DIY section.....if it needs to be moved, no biggie.

Feb 27, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 10
kwkarth was very happy with how his K501's sounded on his AKG SAC K1000 Amp. With a simple 1/4" adapter, you can use standard headphones with 1/4" jacks with it.

Of course the AKG SAC K1000 amp is not made anymore, but you may be able to convince someone here to sell you one (not me, not yet, I still love it
wink.gif
). It's right in your price range. I believe gerG might still want to sell his, and he modded his to have a nice 1/4" Neutrik locking jack, instead of having to use an adapter. Less signal loss that way.

-Ed

Feb 28, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 10
iirc the creek obh11 had excellent synergy with the 501.

it's a capable amp that is unfortunately panned around here for it's simple internals (much like the ra-1), but imo it's not bad.

unfortunately i havent heard it myself with 501s, so i cannot give you a definite answer.

Feb 28, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 10
The Creek OBH-11 did not provide enough power to synergize well with the K 501. It is a bad choice for the K 501 period. In fact, even with the upgraded OBH-2 PSU the Creek only sounded OK with the HD 580, IMO. The Creek has been much-maligned in the past, but it was once a very good amp for the money. Only recently, with the advent of the DIY META42, CMOY, CHA47, PPA and the Corda, Little, etc. has the value of the Creek been weakened. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago (before the DIY and smaller amp builders arrived on the scene - I'm not sure of the time-frame) the Creek was an affordable solution for headphone amplification. Now with the gamut of lower-cost, better-performing (subjectively and objectively) amplifiers, I have trouble recommending the Creek to even beginners; there are simply better options available at more competitive prices. Regarding an amp for the K 501 - I have not heard a more synergous amp than the Emmeline HR-2. It was the only amp that I felt really combated the K 501's bass deficiency. If you are stuck on a DIY and your budget is $500 build yourself the best PPA you can.

Feb 28, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 10
The only 2 amps I've heard which does the AKG501 justice is the Corda and Gilmore. Specifically the Corda PreHead, HA-2 and Gilmore all versions including the lite. Creek, Meta42 those are a no go. I've not heard others like the Emmerline or Headroom MAX so I can't comment on those.

Feb 28, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 10
Ah here we go again!
I’ve contributed to a few discussions concerning the Creek OBH-11se rev B with the AKG K501’s. First off the pair presents a very good portrayal of what is happening up stream. Timbre, dynamics and a tonal balance are very neutral, nothing added, nothing taken away.
If you are acquainted with live music or have on occasion been in a studio and compare that to what the duo offers one should have little to complain about.
They are going to show up a bad recording, especially digital.
If you need the sound tailored to your liking, look elsewhere.
Having said that, the Creek may suffer from quality control. I complained on this board about distortion with the Creek only to discover the right input had a cold solder joint on the circuit board, but then again my Bryston pre-amp had a cold solder joint on the tape output, so it made trouble shooting a bit tricky.
I had also felt the K501’s lacked bass, I’d go back and listen to my speaker setup which has been balanced out with a Velodyne sub return to the headphones and realize the AKG’s are indeed very balanced and the bass is there. Subs move lots of air, headphones do not.
Also a good sub discreetly adds to the body of the music and only makes itself present until true lower frequencies are part of the recording, just like the K501’s.
Nuf said
Happy listening
Ps. Just for fun, remove the pads on the K501’s and take a listen. You will probably want to reduce the volume a fair amount (for obvious reasons). Lots of volume, body and bass, I’m just trying to point out that the drivers on the AKG’s are no harder to drive than most headphones. It’s the way AKG have designed the cushions and mounting to give the K501’s and the 240 series there balanced sound that most I believe are making reference to. Ever listen to good audiophile speaker setup and think it’s not loud enough until you try to speak to someone next to you.

Feb 28, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 10
I disagree that the K501 is a balanced headphone. Even with great amplification coming from great sources it was never balanced - whole notes just weren't there that existed on other headphones like the HD580 and DT880. That's a fact. Listen to Bjork's "Hunter" with the K501 and then with the HD580. There is a slow, pulsing bassline that is simply absent on the K501. When one listens with the HD580 one hears the notes that are missing from the K501. If I had never heard that song with another pair of headphones then I might have been completely content with the K501. However, I expected notes that just weren't there with the K501 - this is not a "boominess" or overbearing bass on behalf of the HD580, DT880 or SR225. If one has never heard true bass or one is averse to bass then one may be satisfied with the K501's sound. I cannot live with a headphone that is literally missing important rhythmic foundations like deep bass - too much of my music relies on this (classical, jazz, funk, rock, hip hop, etc). I love the K501’s midrange but I cannot cope with ABSENT NOTES; this creates a hollow, silhouette-like sound that is simply too unnatural.

Regarding the OBH-11, it is not a terrible design, but it is certainly not a good value anymore amongst the affordable and IMO superior DIY amps like the META42 (which by the way sounded much better with the K501 than my Creek OBH-11 ever did). I've heard other Creeks too: the OBH-21SE and OBH-11SE and both suffered from the same flaws that my OBH-11 did (bass lacked extension and authority, highs were grainy) - don't tell me all of those suffered from a defect!

The fact is as bad as the K501 is, if one is enamored by the sound, please try a better amp than the OBH-11 – I still stand by my HR-2 recommendation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 10
I've got the K501, and it's my favorite dynamic headphone. It's got plenty of what I call REAL bass (not a lot of what I call bass on steroids that a few popular headphones out there seem to live on). It's also got the sweetest mids I've heard...which is were ALL music lives or dies IMHO.
biggrin.gif

I will admit, it does require a LOT of power...but it can be over-powered. I used it extensively with the Corda PreHead, and I felt like it made it a bit harsh-sounding (btw - nothing makes the K340 sing like the PreHead...but I digress).

I think the main thing is that the K501 likes an amp that's a bit warmer. I found it to be an exceptional match with my old HeadRoom Max, and with my current Emmeline XP-7. It's also an excellent match with any of the Singlepower products, all of which have excellent bass and mids. I've found it's generally a great match with just about any tube amp.

Well, that's my $.02...hope it helps.

Feb 28, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 10
I owned the 401 w/c also needed a beefy amp to drive them. I used the Creek OBH11SE and the MG Head DT and they did an admirable job in driving the 401s, but something was lacking. I would listen to Patricia Barber's You Don't Know Me (Nightclub) and it seemed lifeless especially when the bass and the piano played. Her voice was nice and smooth. The XP7 really changed that. It brought the 401s to another level. On the same track the bass came alive. The pluck of the bass was more impactful. The piano became more prominent. It put a smile on my face to finally find and amp that paired well with the 401.

If you do not want to go the DIY route, XP7 (or HR2) will do trick.

Good luck.

Regards - reynman

Feb 28, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 10
If you can DIY, a PPA is probably the best, cheapest and most versatile solution. Even if you're short some tools, you should still be able to keep the project within your budget. What little I have heard of my soon-to-be-finished PPA with my K501's sounds very promising indeed.

/U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back