Amp for AKG 701s and Ety Er-4
Oct 4, 2009 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ffrr

100+ Head-Fier
I have an extra 250 bucks set aside for an item that I ended up not needing so I was wondering if there is anything out there that is decent in the 200-250 buck range?

I know it is a small budget, but all my money has been poured into the "big" rig(ie full size speakers/monoblocs/treatment, dac, transport, etc etc) over the past couple years.

I have been using the headphone amp on my Mytek DACs(I have 2) but I would like something dedicated that I can take with me, seperate from the "big" rig.
(if I take the mytek with me then that will cripple CD/DVDA playback on the big system)

any and all replies greatly appreciated. I am new at the whole headphone amp thing.

oh yeah.. I dont care if used or new, just need some names to either look for in a store(or online) new or some names to throw out in a WTB.. I know this purchase is going to be a leap of faith, but I am cool with that.

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 8
An used Musical Fidelity X-Can V1 or V2 can be had for about $175. If you can solder I would buy the PinkFloyd kit which will improve the sound significantly. Then go to Jameco for an upgraded PSU of 1.5 amps versus the stock 0.5 amps that Musical Fidelity includes w/ the X-Can. BTW, I also own both the K701 and ER4P. Cheers.

Pd: I assumed you are looking for a home amp.

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An used Musical Fidelity X-Can V1 or V2 can be had for about $175. If you can solder I would buy the PinkFloyd kit which will improve the sound significantly. Then go to Jameco for an upgraded PSU of 1.5 amps versus the stock 0.5 amps that Musical Fidelity includes w/ the X-Can. BTW, I also own both the K701 and ER4P. Cheers.

yes, home!
where does one get the PF kit?

also...jameco?? is the PSU something that requires soldering too>?

thanks, Arroyo.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks Miguel... my XCan is en route as are the PF kit, and the PSU.

thank you very much!!

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 8
what is this PSU upgrade you are talking about, mrarroyo? is it external or an internal mod? I have an stock X-Can V3 upgraded to some amperex tubes so does the PF kid and the PSU upgrade apply to what I have?

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 8
I have been running my K701's through a Little Dot MKIII. It is absolutely gorgeous sounding.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back