Amp for AKG 271s
Dec 17, 2005 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sclemmons

100+ Head-Fier
I did not want to step on Mr. Dillon's thread on the 240, but I had the same question. AKG271s under the tree for my 15 year old know it all. Harder than the 240 to drive. I have a RS SR71 which I am not ready to give away to my boy genius to scratch up or lose. What is a decent low cost amp for him. GoVibe? Porta Corda? I am looking for great sound and high value. What is a good home amp for the AKG271? Will the 271 sound ok without an amp out of an iPod or iBook or is an amp required?

Thanks for the help.

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 4
In actuality, the K271S isn't harder to drive than the K240's, which actually rate at the same impedance of 55 ohms. I personally think that the K271S sounds quite good out of the headphone out of my Powerbook without any amping, but there is significant improvement when I plug it into my GLite. I've tried the K271S with a go-vibe with a gain of 6 and I thought it sounded phenomenal, and I'm actually considering selling my GLite to save money and using a go-vibe instead.

Dec 17, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 4
I have a 271 already and am undergoing the dilemma of finding a good amp . . . I have a thread here about it, though it's inconclusive. I believe that the out on the ipod is unsatisfying with these headphones. Mainly the bass loses a lot of amplitude. All I'm comparing it with is my computer output though. Based on comments I've heard that this is the best closed headphone, I am hoping for an improvement in both computer and ipod with the use of an amp.

Here is the thread:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151046

I eventually decided that I'm going to go for some amp with a dedicated bass boost or tone control, but that is only my preference and I'm definitely in the minority in prefering that sort of solution.

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 4
I use my K271s with a Go-Vibe (gain 6, stock AD8066), and enjoy it very much. I think you just can't go wrong with this little amp, especially when Norm has announced the version 4. Go-Vibe is a permanent value!
340smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back