Amp for AKG 240s
Dec 15, 2005 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dillon157

Head-Fier
I recently bought the AKG K240s headphones but I'm looking for an amp to make the sound even better. I'm becomming overwhelmed with all of the choices. I would greatly apreciate yall's help as I am obviously a newbie.

I will primarily be using my iPod and my computer (m-audio revolution 7.1 sound card) as sources and I would like to have an amp that can be used at my desk but is also portable. In additon to this, I really wouldn't want to spend more than $150.

I just don't know where to start. I was looking at the HeadRoom AirHead amp from their mobile line (http://www.headphone.com/products/he...e-mobile-line/) but I don't know... what do you guys think?

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 10
Well I really liked my Pocket Amp V2, but for $150 I would keep an eye on the for sale forum and get something a bit nicer I think.

One thing though, since you own the 240s, you have to try this. Spend 10-20 seconds and take the leather ear pads off, then take off the foam pads and expose the round plastic, put the leather ear pads back on. This improves the sound of the AKG 240s immensely. I couldn't believe it when I tried it, they have moved up a few notches in my opinion. I have been spending 50% of my time on them instead of my SA5000s since i Did it.

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for the tip. One question though, after I take off the leather pad covers and the pads, i put the pad covers back on but WITHOUT the pads right... just the covers?

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 10
A PIMETA does a good job, a Dynalo even better. I suggest talking to some of the DIY guys here and getting them to build you one. I've worked with Mister X in the past and he does great work.
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dillon157
Thanks for the suggestion and thanks for the tip. One question though, after I take off the leather pad covers and the pads, i put the pad covers back on but WITHOUT the pads right... just the covers?

Yep, if I had my digi cam I would take a picture for you. All you do is take of the ear pads, they come off with very little effort. Then the black foam pads over the drivers just come off. They aren't glued or anything. Then put the ear pads back on. Like I said, 10-20 seconds. It is totally reversable since the black foam pads aren't attached.

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 10
Just btw, has anyone purchased a new K240M or K240DF in recent years - if so, what type of foam pads do they come with these days? I ask, 'cause the foam pads on both of my K240S' have an additional layer of fabric (probably to provide a smoother feeling to the ear, I'd assume...), while both of my old K240Ms had nude foam pads (which used to get somewhat wobbly after a few years of use, btw, so that they eventually tended to separate themselves from the headphones all by themselves...
wink.gif
The suspension strings for the automagically adjusting headband also seem more durable today - at least on the K240S.).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: dillon157: To my ears, the K240S works very nicely with the PortaCorda II. Of course, the HA-1 and HA-1 Mk II do even better - but that is to be exspected from more expensive amps for home use. Anyway, the K240S isn't really power-hungry, so one doesn't need a monster of an amp for it - but it likes low impedance outputs and scales nicely with amplification. More output power capability and more voltage swing mostly result in cleaner and tighter bass, so choosing an amp that offers an option to be powered by a higher voltage (compared to the battery) dc power supply (usually preferably a linear regulated one) could be a wise move. In your case, if you're located in the US, I'd probably give the most recent Go-Vibe a try...

Dec 17, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 10
My personal fave for a low-cost, great-sounding amp for the K240S is a Go-Vibe fitted with an AD823 opamp. For an extra-special treat, run the Go-Vibe at 18V. To my ear, there is an almost magical synergy between the K240S and a Go-Vibe with an AD823. I heard it immediately when I first popped an AD823 into my Go-Vibe and plugged in my K240S. Subsequent extended listening has done nothing but confirm how special they sound together. You get all the great lows of the K240S, and the AD823 allows a really beautiful high end to come through, all nicely integrated with the sweet, sweet mids that these phones are famous for.

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 10
I wonder how the Go-Vibe V4 with AD8397 would compare to AD823...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back