Amp for abyss 1266 phi tc sub 1k
Feb 18, 2022 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sloomingbla

500+ Head-Fier
So, I am currently using the fostex hpa8 dac/amp with my th900s.

I am thinking about upgrading to the abyss 1266 phi tc - and from what I’ve read, my amp may have a hard time driving them. (Info on this would be nice! If I could use this reasonably and save for a better amp later on I would be happy)

Also, would it be better to buy an entirely new amp/dac, or keep my current hpa8 as a dac and buy an amp to go with it?

Any recommendations that may pair nicely with these? I’m very interested in trying a tube amplifier if anything, I like a little color to my sound generally.

My current budget would probably be sub 1k$ (will upgrade to something crazy and expensive like the audiovalve solaris later on)

Feb 18, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 14
Buy a less expensive headphone and a better amp. Amp and source have higher priority than headphone.

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 14
Buy a less expensive headphone and a better amp. Amp and source have higher priority than headphone.
I disagree, although I’m sure that becomes more true the higher up you go. Like I said I’m planning on upgrading the amp in the future - I feel a 1k amp with the hpa8 as a dac and the abyss HAS to sound better than a ~5k$ amp/dac and the th900, no?

(Plus, I found a good deal on the abyss, so I am trying to snag them first)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 14
I disagree, although I’m sure that becomes more true the higher up you go. Like I said I’m planning on upgrading the amp in the future - I feel a 1k amp with the hpa8 as a dac and the abyss HAS to sound better than a ~5k$ amp/dac and the th900, no?

(Plus, I found a good deal on the abyss, so I am trying to snag them first)
No. I don’t know that dac. I would start with Yaggy as a min dac for TOTL headphones. For amps any of the big Kevin Gilmore should be fine (so pretty much all the big Headamp ones), also include Pass Labs one and the Luxman one. I think Moon has a decent amp as well but don’t know how well it drives difficult load.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 14
I'm using Soloist 3XP w/supercharger + 4 Sparkos Op amps to run my Phi TCs. It's a pretty solid setup for the price and can be had used for under $1k.

I prefer the sparkos over vivids to help with the Mids recess in TC and smooth the treble peaks. You could also look into used Ifi ican pro, Cayin IHA6 and perhaps a well Milo (base) for around that price point.

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 14
I would not run Abyss from an amp with opamp output stage as a general matter.

Feb 18, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 14
OP, your headphone is fine. You need much better amp and dac (substitute for other front end if applicable). If I may be so bold, you honestly have no idea what your headphone is capable of.

Feb 18, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 14
OP, your headphone is fine. You need much better amp and dac (substitute for other front end if applicable). If I may be so bold, you honestly have no idea what your headphone is capable of.
I certainly don’t take offense at an honest attempt to help me make the right purchase, and I was floored at the difference between my o2 and the hpa8.

No doubt in the extent of benefits that can be brought from a proper dac/amp - I’m simply working my way up one step at a time and have found a good deal.

The biggest reason for me to buy things in this order is the ability to see how the amps fare with the abyss in particular. If I buy a nice amp for my th900, I would want to tailor the sound/specs to fit the th900, otherwise I may end up with an amp I won’t use until I have the abyss anyways.

I understand that my th900 could sound much better, but the claims about the abyss in comparison are mouth watering, frankly.

When I say I will upgrade in the future, I mean 4-5 months from now, not x years from now.

Feb 18, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 14
I understand that my th900 could sound much better, but the claims about the abyss in comparison are mouth watering, frankly.

When I say I will upgrade in the future, I mean 4-5 months from now, not x years from now.
Lol. I understand the FOMO and flowery language people use describing cans.

If you are already committing $10k+ to the package you should try the ones noted in my above comment. Any of them could work well with the right sounding dac and adjusted for your preference.

Feb 18, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 14
I would add this: to combat FOMO and readjust my expectation when trying new cans, I always listen to my HD650 for 10-15min before I try the new cans. It’s a humbling experience. I keep around my HD650 and a Kevin Gilmore amp for this purpose.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 14
Look at the Monoprice Liquid Platinum, a hybrid. You could tweak the sound by changing tubes. Or a Topping A90 if you want solid state.

If you could extend your budget a bit, a used Headamp GS-X mini. And you may not chase that Audiovalve amp anymore. If you look at this YT video. Abyss people ranked the GS-X mini as A list and the Audiovalve Solaris on B list along with the Topping A90.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #12 of 14
I think I replied to you in the abyss thread but The FA-10 from fluxlab acoustics and the Pro iCAN (used) are both worth looking at. Pro iCAN even lets you explore solid state vs tubes with its various settings. A great match for the 1266 at that price point imo.

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #14 of 14
I think Burson Soloist 3x would be your best bet around that price range
It is a great amp for the price and gives one flexibility to role op amps and upgrade the PS as you see fit.

my next goal is to get a better pre amp and test the 3XP out with power mode. Looking at a tube pre.

the supercharger and sparkos were a nice synergy with my phi tc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back