AMP for a pair of AKG 240 DF
Apr 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

moran679

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I currently own a pair of AKG 240 DF (2x 600ohms) that are connected to my PC. I need a headphone amp since my sound card is too weak to handle it.
I'm looking to spend a maximum amount of about $150, any suggestions?

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 6
To reach a pretty loud level (say 110 dB SPL), you need more voltage than any headphone amp under $150 can provide.  However, you can certainly get something more powerful than what you're currently using, unless by "sound card" you're talking about something like a Xonar Essence ST / STX.

JDSLabs assembled Objective2 (O2) amplifier is about $150, though for running very insensitive, high-impedance headphones, the slightly cheaper FiiO E9 should be just as suitable.  The cheapest solution for running high voltages into high impedance headphones, is some kind of dual-battery CMoy.  Some should be roughly as powerful, maybe a bit less, but worse overall in other ways.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 6
Xonar Essence STX looks pretty interesting. I think it would make a better choice over a headphone amp since I use my onboard sound card (which is not all that good, to be honest). Do you think that it will be enough to drive my headphones? (or at least as good as one of the amps you've recommended)

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Xonar Essence STX looks pretty interesting. I think it would make a better choice over a headphone amp since I use my on-board sound card (which is not all that good, to be honest). Do you think that it will be enough to drive my headphones? (or at least as good as one of the amps you've recommended)

My Xonar Essence STX drives my AKG K240 Monitor 600-Ohm headphones just fine.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 6
Essence ST / STX, FiiO E9, and O2 should all be about the same for insensitive high-impedance headphones—also arguably not powerful enough, but that really depends on how loud you listen, and what music.  A lot of people will be okay with that.  The Essence use a TPA6120 headphone amp implementation like the E9; that's not enough to guarantee they're necessarily similar in quality, but it's known that the max voltage output pretty much is the same, and the performance characteristics should be mostly similar.

The advantage of using an Essence ST / STX is that you get to use its very good DAC instead of your onboard sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back