AMP for a Newbie
Nov 14, 2004 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

abrichr

New Head-Fier
Hey there,

I just recently began to involve myself in this audio electronics business, and I find it absolutely fascinating. The only hi-fi equipment I have at the moment is my pair of Sennheiser 497s, which are all I can currently afford. I love them, and I think they sound amazing, but I keep getting the message that an amp is essential for true hi-fi portable audio.

I listen to CDs on my year 2000 philips PCDP, which, it seems, has a loose headphone jack. Currently I use an elastic to pull it up, for if it sits naturally or is pushed to the sides or down, I only get one channel, or none at all. As a sidenote, does anyone know what I can do about this? Currently I can't find a screwdriver small enough to open it up, but I will if it is necessary.

Considering I don't have that much money to spend, and am only a beginner, I would like to hear some suggestions regarding amplification, as well as the basics of what to consider in an amp.

Nov 14, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 19
Whoa, funny running into you again.
biggrin.gif
I have a Headsave Go-Vibe that's in the mail somewhere on it's way to me. I'll have a listen with the 497s and let you know how they mesh.

Nov 14, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 19
Hey there,

Good to see you again. I googled the Headsave Go-Vibe, it looks very sleek and portable, and the price is about right. I'll definitely look forward to hearing your opinion of it.

Out of curiosity, what kind(s) of music do you listen to mainly?

Nov 14, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by abrichr
Out of curiosity, what kind(s) of music do you listen to mainly?

Hmm. Honesly, that's a hard question to answer. I literally listen to just about every type of music out there. My least preferred music is probably country at the moment. The albums that have gotten the most recent attention are Bjork - Post, Maria Mena - White Turns Blue, Justin Clayton - Limb, and Crystal Method - Vegas.

But realistically my tastes are quite varied.

EDIT: In fact, if you have any suggestions, I'm always looking for new things.
cool.gif

Nov 14, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 19
I don't listen to much of anything other than classical, which I listen to virtually every waking moment of my day.

In that respect, I would suggest you listen to the Brandenburg Concerto no. 3 by Bach (which I am currently listening to), Chopin's Polonaise in Ab major, Handel's Messiah, Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture... I'm just listing whatever pops into my head. I love all of classical music, and I could go on and on with this list. Oh, and try Flight of the Valkyries, by Wagner. Any of Beethoven's symphonies will do. Spring of the Four Seasons, by Vivaldi. The Bells of Moscow, by Rachmaninoff.

I'll stop now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ooh, and Mozart's Symphony no. 25! And the overture to his Magic Flute! I feel terrible about this... I don't want to leave anyone out. Forgive me, but I fear I will develop a bad reputation if I go on like this.

A really great primer for classical music is Simply the Best Classical Anthems, a 2-cd set which you can take a look at here.

Nov 14, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 19
What's a go-vibe go for?

...sorry, 5 seconds worth of searched solved that.

Nov 14, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Ooh, and Mozart's Symphony no. 25! And the overture to his Magic Flute! I feel terrible about this... I don't want to leave anyone out. Forgive me, but I fear I will develop a bad reputation if I go on like this.

Hahaha. No apologies necessary. I've listened to quite a bit of that. In fact, out of what you've listed, I've only yet to hear Polonaise, Rachmaninoff, and Symphony no. 25. Going to have to go seek out those.
smily_headphones1.gif
I need to dig up my Magic Flute, wherever it got off to. I remember really enjoying that. And the Brandenburg Concertos. Hmm. It's been a while since I've dusted off my orchestral stuff. Better start digging! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #9 of 19
I hope this isn't seen as a conflict of intrests, but you can get better performance than the go-vibe for less....contact someone in the DIY forum, or post a WTB thread for a Cmoy. Try to get one with a TLE based ground, and maybe an AD823 opamp....those sound good with the 497's.

-Z

Nov 14, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

I love all of classical music, and I could go on and on with this list. Oh, and try Flight of the Valkyries, by Wagner. Any of Beethoven's symphonies will do. Spring of the Four Seasons, by Vivaldi. The Bells of Moscow, by Rachmaninoff.

Since this is your thread, I will make a comment in relation to your classical music preferences.

IMO Beethoven Symphony#9 is greatest piece of classical music ever written.

Jim

Nov 14, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
I hope this isn't seen as a conflict of intrests, but you can get better performance than the go-vibe for less....contact someone in the DIY forum,

I don't think I know enough yet to build my own amp. Plus, I live in Canada, so every item I order will have tarrifs on them. Actually the only Canadian location I can think of is the guy who makes the go-vibes!
Quote:

or post a WTB thread for a Cmoy.

I have no idea what a WTB or a Cmoy are. Please clarify?
Quote:

Try to get one with a TLE based ground, and maybe an AD823 opamp....those sound good with the 497's.

What is a TLE based ground?

Nov 14, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 19
As for your cd player, it sounds like the headphone jack needs replacing. This occurs quite often if you apply too much pressure pushing against the jack - the metal contacts become warped out of shape. Opening pcdp is sometimes not easy and the plastic case may require more than just removing screws; it may require unsnapping some glued areas or interlocking pieces of plastic. Even after you open it up, you may not be able to safely remove the headphone jack.

I think WTB mean "willing to buy". CMOY is a type of small and relatively cheap portable amp, usually powered by batteries. Too bad, I cannot find a link about how to build a CMOY amp. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can save yourself quite a bit of money building your own amp. There are some head-fi members who build amps for other members for a price.

I have no idea what TLE based ground is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back