Amp for 7XX
Feb 27, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #16 of 25
  I'll throw my $.02 in here. I just got a pair of 712 Pros and paired them with the Schiit Vali I happened to be using with my HD598s.  I just ran two hours from my "Amp./ Headphone Test Tracks" playlist through them and they seemed to excel at everything from Yo Yo Ma to Judas Priest. And the little Vali never even broke a sweat.  For $120.00 I think it is a hidden gem.

What, no ringing?

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #17 of 25
Feb 28, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #18 of 25

What, no ringing?

None whatsoever. Never has had any. That problem is a thing of the past.

Not unless they changed tubes, and then it wouldn't be the Vali:

Schiit Quote:
On Tubes
Just getting into tubes? Be aware of microphonics. Many small tubes, including the ones in Vali, are microphonic. When you plug in headphones, you'll hear a little "tiiinnnnggg...." noise that takes quite a while to go away. If you rap the chassis, it will do the same thing. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #19 of 25

All I'm saying is that I have a six week old Vali an it has no microphonics. None whatsoever. Not all Vali's can be painted withe same brush.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #20 of 25

All I'm saying is that I have a six week old Vali an it has no microphonics. None whatsoever. Not all Vali's can be painted withe same brush.

I agree that you were lucky.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #21 of 25
Hmm well I'm not sure if I'm interested in the Vali if the magni is so much cheaper. I'll just browse for $100 amps I suppose. Can't seem to find a good one that is also portable though :/

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #23 of 25
I think I would buy the iBasso DZero Mk 2 for $120.

I took a look, and I like it! Seems to be a nifty all in one. Does it go on sale often? I notice it as a vote option on massdrop but it seems unpopular there.

Also know if I can still have 3d surround with an external dac or will I just be using the amp in that case?

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #24 of 25

I took a look, and I like it! Seems to be a nifty all in one. Does it go on sale often? I notice it as a vote option on massdrop but it seems unpopular there.

Also know if I can still have 3d surround with an external dac or will I just be using the amp in that case?

USB audio (USB DACs and USB/DAC/amps) bypass the sound card features.
But a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) DAC will work with the sound card features.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #25 of 25
Well after some browsing the for sale section, I decided to go get a used Asgard (much more than I anticipated on spending but based on the reviews I think it has good value). I reevaluated my need for a portable amp given that I find myself using earbuds on my phone more due to the sound leakage from the the 7xx. I also did some reading on dacs and it seems that an external dac doesn't do too much more than what my card already does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back