Amp for 7XX
Feb 27, 2015 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Sad Panda

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for an appropriate amp for my newly acquired AKG 7XX. I'll be pairing it up with a x-fi titanium fatal1ty sound card so I believe I won't need a dac as I'll be needing the 3d surround from the sound card. Whats the best value I can get from an amp? Preferably one that is under $50?

I'm willing to go higher for a portable amp/dac combo that works with android phones and google music streaming but I've yet to see one like that.

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 25
  I've been looking for an appropriate amp for my newly acquired AKG 7XX. I'll be pairing it up with a X-fi titanium fatal1ty sound card so I believe I won't need a dac as I'll be needing the 3d surround from the sound card. Whats the best value I can get from an amp? Preferably one that is under $50?
I'm willing to go higher for a portable amp/dac combo that works with android phones and Google music streaming but I've yet to see one like that.

$50 is really getting too low to get something worth while.
The FiiO E11K is $60 (works with the Falal1ty and phones)
Generic tube headphone amplifiers sell on eBay from around $60 - $130.
Schiit is selling the Magni for $79.

Maybe replace the X-Fi Fatal1ty with a Sound Blaster Z?

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 25
You could try a CMoy amp in a tin from eBay. Of course, unless you buy some rechargeable 9v batteries and a charger, you'll spend another $50 in batteries in the first year. The Fiio E11K would be more cost effective in the long-run.

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 25

$50 is really getting too low to get something worth while.
The FiiO E11K is $60 (works with the Falal1ty and phones)
Generic tube headphone amplifiers sell on eBay from around $60 - $130.
Schiit is selling the Magni for $79.

Maybe replace the X-Fi Fatal1ty with a Sound Blaster Z?

From what I've read, it seems the older X-Fi series has better 3d audio so I think I'll keep my card for awhile longer. Is there really no amp for lower than $50? I recall seeing one by the name of topping go for around 35ish on Amazon but I was hopping for more options.

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 25
Yes. The Topping NX1.

As a K612 Pro owner, I'd recommend saving your money for the Magni that is on closeout. The K6/7 series of open headphones really does like a more powerful amp than a lot of headphones. At the very least, I would skip the NX1 and wait until you can afford the E11K. You can use it with your phone, too.

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 25
Yes. The Topping NX1.

As a K612 Pro owner, I'd recommend saving your money for the Magni that is on closeout. The K6/7 series of open headphones really does like a more powerful amp than a lot of headphones. At the very least, I would skip the NX1 and wait until you can afford the E11K. You can use it with your phone, too.

I would really prefer not to overspend too much on an amp. Spending nearly 50% of the cost of a headphone for an amp makes me leery. What makes the 7XX need a more powerful amp? Their impedance was not that high if I recall the box stats correctly.

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 25
  I would really prefer not to overspend too much on an amp. Spending nearly 50% of the cost of a headphone for an amp makes me leery. What makes the 7XX need a more powerful amp? Their impedance was not that high if I recall the box stats correctly.

AKG headphones seem to like a little more power to work well, then their low impedance (62-Ohm) number would have you think.
A 62-Ohm AKG headphone has about the same need for power as a 250-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphone.
It's really cheap to make an amplifier with a lot of power, but it's how that power is delivered that makes more of the difference.
and it' costs to deliver power in a constructive fashion.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 25

AKG headphones seem to like a little more power to work well, then their low impedance (62-Ohm) number would have you think.
A 62-Ohm AKG headphone has about the same need for power as a 250-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphone.
It's really cheap to make an amplifier with a lot of power, but it's how that power is delivered that makes more of the difference.
and it' costs to deliver power in a constructive fashion.

Fair enough. I guess I'll look at higher priced stuff. I think if I'm spending more I'd like to be able to use the amp with both my phone and computer. Is there anything like that with a reasonable cost?
  I would be hesitant to get the E11k, the X3 has more power and it made my Q701 sound like crap.

Worse than no amp at all?

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 25
  Fair enough. I guess I'll look at higher priced stuff. I think if I'm spending more I'd like to be able to use the amp with both my phone and computer. Is there anything like that with a reasonable cost?

Worse than no amp at all?

I don't remember using it out of my laptop's headphone jack, but it couldn't have been much worse.  For a portable amp I would look into the E12 (bad with more sensitive headphones), or the Cayin C5 (more expensive but better sounding and works well with sensitive headphones).

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 25
  I don't remember using it out of my laptop's headphone jack, but it couldn't have been much worse.  For a portable amp I would look into the E12 (bad with more sensitive headphones), or the Cayin C5 (more expensive but better sounding and works well with sensitive headphones).

Dang, $165 for the c5... Hmm I guess I'm going to just hold off for now. Maybe I'll consider a magni...

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 25
I'll throw my $.02 in here. I just got a pair of 712 Pros and paired them with the Schiit Vali I happened to be using with my HD598s.  I just ran two hours from my "Amp./ Headphone Test Tracks" playlist through them and they seemed to excel at everything from Yo Yo Ma to Judas Priest. And the little Vali never even broke a sweat.  For $120.00 I think it is a hidden gem.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 25
AKG K7XX: 105 dB/V @ 62 Ohms = 92.9 dB/mW
Beyerdynamic DT880-250 = 96 dB/mW

With the same power going into both headphones, the 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic will actually be LOUDER than the AKG K7XX. Surprising, right? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back