Amp for 300ohm Headphones (HD 650)
Jul 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #31 of 35
@Jerrod happy to hear that. cant wait to use it tomorrow.

using the hd 650 right now on my soundcard (asus xonar d2x) and im already blown away ... i used to have sennheiser game ones which are already decent compared to most "gaming" headphones (im guessing its the same as the hd 598) and i just had an eargasm with my current favorite song which i also have as a high quality .wav luckily (as opposed to youtube or something compressed mp3)
also the 300 ohm arent to bad on my sound card. i can still hear everything fine. to be honest im worried the 2.5/6.5x gain is way too much..
Right on, yeah the game one is pretty much an hd 598 with a mic, but the 650s are on a whole new level. the 650s are top tier for me simplly because i don't like how planar sounds - too fatiguing imo, and electrostats are even more fatiguing.

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #32 of 35
alright the cable arrived today and i plugged my headphones in. the cable goes to the soundcards headphone out and it works. now my question: do i max the volume on windows and try to control it on the amp or the other way around or do i try to find a balance? what will net me the cleanest sound.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #33 of 35
alright the cable arrived today and i plugged my headphones in. the cable goes to the soundcards headphone out and it works. now my question: do i max the volume on windows and try to control it on the amp or the other way around or do i try to find a balance? what will net me the cleanest sound.
Since most amps are more picky on input volume, i'd say, go 75-85% on the volume of the Headphone Amp (if reasonable of course) and do the rest with the windows controls. If this ripps of your ears at 5% windows volume, go lower on the amp ofc...

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #34 of 35
Depends on the app you are using and whether or not the software does what windows and most software does and that is throw away bits. Generally you want the windows volume at 100% for bit perfect transfer to an external dac.

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #35 of 35

Hook up the amp to the FR/FL output on the soundcard, OS and player app set to max, control using the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back