Amp first, DAC later; will that work?
Jan 31, 2017 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

renault4

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Schiit Valhalla 2 winging its way here as I write. I intend to eventually pair it to a Bifrost, however I need to phase the purchase of the latter by about a month or so, so what am I looking at in the interim to drive the Valhalla?

I will be running off a MacBook Pro (13" Retina late 2103), so I could use a 3.5mm to RCA pair to go from the MacBook Pro headphone jack to the Amp; in that case I would be using the MacBook's native DAC to export the analog signal to the Amp.

Will that work as a stopgap?

I do have a Fiio E17 DAC/Amp, but I dont have the necessary L7 line-out dock to allow me to use the E17 as just a DAC; am I correct in thinking that there could be some issues from double-amping if i just use the headphone port on the E17 to go to the Valhalla?

Obviously I can try these combinations once the Valhalla arrives, but I am just trying to anticipate any problems!

thanks

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 9
from my new found experience of having a DAC, I think it'd be better to use your FIIO until you get the new DAC to pair with your new amp. 

Sound staging and detail are so much better with even just an entry level DAC.

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 9
If you don't have the dock and it is only going to be a month I would just use the Mac.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 9
so far so good! based on responses, the suggestions are that I'll survive for a month or so--that is, i can listen to stuff through the Valhalla, experience some level of improvement in quality, yet probably calibrate the experience such that ultimately the installation of the Bifrost DAC will be all that much more delightful!

thanks again!

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 9
I would recommend the Multibit if you can swing it. You can always upgrade later but I'm a fan of multibit. I truly love my Yggy.

Jan 31, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Funny - Im currently in a similar situation. I have a Magni 2 Uber on its way but plan to use it with onboard audio, at least to start with. I've gotten some mixed feedback on if an external DAC (likely would go with the Modi) will even make much of a difference as to sound quality. Alot of people have stated that if you arent getting any EMI noise with the onboard that its unlikely a USB DAC would make much of an improvement. In my case, my mainboard is an MSI Z87 MPower Max, which utilizes the ALC1150 DAC and actually looks to have a pretty nicely laid out audio section. Obviously, if there's noticeable noise or distortion Ill know right away that a USB DAC would be an improvement but if it sounds good I guess Ill always be afraid Im missing something haha. I just wish there were more people who have actually A/B tested it. And not with like $5000 worth of amp/headphones either. Obviously with a TOTL setup youre more likely to notice any noise or inaccuracies of the onboard audio's DAC, but with a mid-fi setup, in my case Magni 2U and HE-400S, the difference may not even be noticeable. Either way, if I end up getting a DAC Ill do an A/B test and if I cant tell a difference the DAC will be right up for sale lol.

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 9
Funny - Im currently in a similar situation. I have a Magni 2 Uber on its way but plan to use it with onboard audio, at least to start with. I've gotten some mixed feedback on if an external DAC (likely would go with the Modi) will even make much of a difference as to sound quality. Alot of people have stated that if you arent getting any EMI noise with the onboard that its unlikely a USB DAC would make much of an improvement. In my case, my mainboard is an MSI Z87 MPower Max, which utilizes the ALC1150 DAC and actually looks to have a pretty nicely laid out audio section. Obviously, if there's noticeable noise or distortion Ill know right away that a USB DAC would be an improvement but if it sounds good I guess Ill always be afraid Im missing something haha. I just wish there were more people who have actually A/B tested it. And not with like $5000 worth of amp/headphones either. Obviously with a TOTL setup youre more likely to notice any noise or inaccuracies of the onboard audio's DAC, but with a mid-fi setup, in my case Magni 2U and HE-400S, the difference may not even be noticeable. Either way, if I end up getting a DAC Ill do an A/B test and if I cant tell a difference the DAC will be right up for sale lol.
Would totally agree if you are not getting a bunch of crazy noise then onboard would be just fine .

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 9
so I am curious to understand more; what is it particularly that you believe/feel the multibit feature set brings to the table?

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 9
so I am curious to understand more; what is it particularly that you believe/feel the multibit feature set brings to the table?
I believe that it brings a bit more detail and separation to the music. Some might disagree that's fine I only can say what I hear. Every piece of the chain affects it.
This is my not end game ( don't know there is one) but so good.

Cavalli Liquid Tungsten and my Yggy and Ether C's just awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back