Amp decision help please?
Jun 25, 2006 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mbd

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am trying decide on the best amp for my needs, and would like some advice from anyone willing to offer... This will be my first 'proper' headphone amp - I built my own cmoy(tangent) amp a couple of years ago, but would like get something a little more refined that can last me a while.

I have a relatively limited budget, but don't believe in not buying the 'right tool for the job'. Let's say that around US$450 would be my absolute limit, but I'd really prefer to spend less if possible - perhaps by finding a 2nd hand one. My current headphones are etymotic er-4s and grado SR-80s, but I have just bought a pair of second hand Grado HF-1's which are on their way, so they'll be the set I want to best match with the amp. I don't listen to classical or jazz, but more indie kinda stuff, both guitar and electronic based (think My Bloody Valentine, Primal Scream, New Order, Postal Service, M83, Stars, Teenage Fanclub, etc).

I'd like to have a USB DAC as it is very likely I'd like to use a laptop as the source in addition to a CD player. Having a DAC would be preferred but is not crucial - if I don't get a built-in DAC now, i'll probably want to get a reasonably low cost one down the track.

The amps that I'm considering based on a good few hours of reading include:

* Meier Audio HeadFive
* Meier Audio Corda Aria
* Dared MP5
* Musical Fidelity X-Can 3
* Perreaux SHX1

I'm happy to roll tubes, opamps, etc, but ultimately would like to try and avoid making a hobby out of purchasing/swapping/analyzing of headphone amps and instead spend my time just enjoying the music I love. Unfortunately being in Melbourne Australia, there's little chance for me to demo these amps before purchase. Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome!

Jun 26, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 3
Replying to my post. How sad.

I'm now considering the Perreaux SXH2 as I may have sourced a second hand model - any opinions on that one compared to the others? I'm now thinking that maybe my best bet is to try and get a couple of amps plus a separate DAC and sell the amp I don't like best.

Luckily I've found a local retailer that has the X-Can 3 and the Dared MP5 on display (carlton audiovisual), so I'm going to try and see what I can see there....

Jun 26, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 3
There is an X-Can V2 for sale in the forums for $175. Snatch it before I do. Then see about the PinkFloyd's mods and you will have a killer amp for about $250 to $300.

You have a couple of Grado cans and they love tubes. By the way one of the better tube amps for Grado's is made in Canada by Mapletree. It is a the Ear Purist + HD which retails for $500 in a kit form or $600 assembled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back