Amp + DAC?
May 4, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #16 of 33
I would really like to purchase an amp soon so can anyone be kind enough to lend me a hand?

Pick one based off these reviews in this sub $200 portable amp shootout. ClieOS knows his stuff when it comes to portable amps: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-13-11-amps-compared

Rankings follow the reviews. :)

May 4, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #17 of 33
Pick one based off these reviews in this sub $200 portable amp shootout. ClieOS knows his stuff when it comes to portable amps: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-13-11-amps-compared

Rankings follow the reviews.
smily_headphones1.gif

What I've been pointing out though is that the Lightning connector doesn't have the same line out capability as the older 30-pins, and at that point the problem then is the added bulk of the CCK when using a digital input into a DAC (or the horrendous cost of an iDevice DAC that won't need that adapter and comes with a short data cable). 
smile.gif

May 4, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #18 of 33
What I've been pointing out though is that the Lightning connector doesn't have the same line out capability as the older 30-pins, and at that point the problem then is the added bulk of the CCK when using a digital input into a DAC (or the horrendous cost of an iDevice DAC that won't need that adapter and comes with a short data cable). :smile:

Kind of sucks how Apple did that, isn't it? One has to buy some kind of iDAC. Which, like you say, makes things expensive.

Time to go Android :D

May 4, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #20 of 33
There's another problem as well. I have a lifeproof fre case. I don't even know if some of these adapters would even fit the lightning port. This is too hard :frowning2:. But disregarding my connectivity issues the e17 is looking really good.

May 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #21 of 33
Lol well I have a nexus 7 and I really dislike the android appstore.

Yeah. It's sort of like an open air bazaar in tone compare to the mall like quality of the iPhone app store (lol).

There's another problem as well. I have a lifeproof fre case. I don't even know if some of these adapters would even fit the lightning port. This is too hard :frowning2:. But disregarding my connectivity issues the e17 is looking really good.

Just though I'd throw this out there. There is a completely different alternative. FiiO X3 uses the same DAC/amp as the E17, only supposedly optimized even a little better for SQ/performance.

But what I would so is wait and see. Don't even worry about an amp right now. I own the K550s, and they are quite easy to drive. And I have a separate amp, and would never go to the trouble to use it with my phone or MP3 player with the K550s. They do so well without one. Unless you find that you are pushing them to max volume on the iPhone where you are losing headroom on the iPhone amp (or are boosting bass substantially), probably not going to get as much of an improvement in SQ from an amp as you think. iPhones have a reputation for pretty good sound. Enjoy the K550s for a couple of weeks before thinking about this further.

May 4, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #22 of 33
Alright, I guess I'll keep my eyes open and look at amps time to time for a while for solutions. But for now I'll just wait till my headphones arrive. Thank you you all for helping me. I appreciate it :)

May 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #23 of 33
Kind of sucks how Apple did that, isn't it? One has to buy some kind of iDAC. Which, like you say, makes things expensive.

Time to go Android
biggrin.gif

Actually iOS7 enabled USB audio again after it was taken away by iOS6.3.1, and better yet, enabled it on the iPhones too, albeit the bulkier package thanks to the CCK. If it will be used a transportable (which is more likely as I can't imagine why anyone would want to have to whip it out on a train then bring it up to one's lips, given the amp won't have provisions for a microphone) it really isn't that much of a problem, but I wasn't sure which parts of that octopus the OP didn't want (if not all of it).

If there's any real reason to go Android, it's for the microSD cards. Easier music transfers and you won't need to fuss around right now with wireless drives until the player apps get them working smoothly, although this isn't a problem if you use iTunes and 320kbps/ALAC. If anything, the advantage to microSD is for portable use - using a wireless drive drains more of the battery on the phone/tablet and the battery life on wireless platter drives isn't all that long (and some solid state drives are just too compact, off-setting its USB stick SS memory tech), plus it's bulkier.

May 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #24 of 33
Actually iOS7 enabled USB audio again after it was taken away by iOS6.3.1, and better yet, enabled it on the iPhones too, albeit the bulkier package thanks to the CCK. If it will be used a transportable (which is more likely as I can't imagine why anyone would want to have to whip it out on a train then bring it up to one's lips, given the amp won't have provisions for a microphone) it really isn't that much of a problem, but I wasn't sure which parts of that octopus the OP didn't want (if not all of it).

I guess that helps that they did bring it back.

If there's any real reason to go Android, it's for the microSD cards. Easier music transfers and you won't need to fuss around right now with wireless drives until the player apps get them working smoothly, although this isn't a problem if you use iTunes and 320kbps/ALAC. If anything, the advantage to microSD is for portable use - using a wireless drive drains more of the battery on the phone/tablet and the battery life on wireless platter drives isn't all that long (and some solid state drives are just too compact, off-setting its USB stick SS memory tech), plus it's bulkier.

Yep. I have multiple microSD cards that I switch in and out of my Clip+. So convenient. :)

May 4, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #25 of 33
Actually iOS7 enabled USB audio again after it was taken away by iOS6.3.1, and better yet, enabled it on the iPhones too, albeit the bulkier package thanks to the CCK.

Okay if you're saying this is possible I'm willing to get anything required and leave it at home for the DAC and when I'm out just use the amp just as long as it doesn't cost too much. 

Is this the combo I need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-in-1-HDMI-Dock-Adapter-AV-USB-Cable-Camera-Connection-Kit-for-iPad-iPhone-DZ88-/131079147710
+
http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Black-Dock-Extender-Adapter-for-iPhone-5-5S-5C-Fit-Lifeproof-Otterbox-Case-/111297991898?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item19e9e094da

Do the adaptor + cck have a chance of ruining the amp's potential?
If it will be used a transportable (which is more likely as I can't imagine why anyone would want to have to whip it out on a train then bring it up to one's lips, given the amp won't have provisions for a microphone) it really isn't that much of a problem

Do you mean if it wasn't used as a transportable it would make sense? 

May 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #26 of 33

Okay if you're saying this is possible I'm willing to get anything required and leave it at home for the DAC and when I'm out just use the amp just as long as it doesn't cost too much. 

Is this the combo I need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-in-1-HDMI-Dock-Adapter-AV-USB-Cable-Camera-Connection-Kit-for-iPad-iPhone-DZ88-/131079147710
+
http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Black-Dock-Extender-Adapter-for-iPhone-5-5S-5C-Fit-Lifeproof-Otterbox-Case-/111297991898?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item19e9e094da

I wouldn't know if those will work as I've only used - and observed as working - the original Camera Connection Kit. If anything, try to get that dock extender, as I assume it will be something necessary for using with your phone's case, instead of paying the full $30 for the converter. However, if you're willing to risk the $13, might as well get that generic CCK too as it has a lineout connection, and you can try that out with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable going to an amp's analog input.

Do the adaptor + cck have a chance of ruining the amp's potential?

Either it will work with a digital output into a DAC(-HPamp), or a fixed analog lineout,* or it wouldn't. Don't sweat details about the sound getting ruined by more components, considering that if it does work either way, the device doesn't work otherwise, so there's no basis for comparison using the same device. Don't think of this in the same way as, for example, a true DAC unit with a neutral discrete or HDAM output stage and then putting tube buffers or whatever between it and the (pre)amp.

*which I can't make any guesses to the affirmative because I can't be sure how Lightning will work with an adapter, considering the original Apple dock has a DAC chip wired inside it to provide a line out signal

Do you mean if it wasn't used as a transportable it would make sense? 

Portable - DAP or device used as digital transport strapped to an HPamp or DAC-HPamp, used on the go; if it's a smartphone, you won't be using a headset through the amp, so when you answer the phone, you bring the phone, amp, DAC (the whole shebang) up to your mouth 

Transportable - DAP or device used as digital transport in your pocket or one bag compartment, and other related components like an amp and maybe a DAC in their own bag or a compartment in whatever bag you have, to be assembled together as a system when you get to a location where you are likely to spend an extended period of time, like at home and then transported to the office or a hotel room

----

So what I meant was all the clumsy adapters and an amp, maybe with a DAC built in (even if it's battery powered), would be more easily used stashed neatly in a bag then assembled on site like when Rangers take pack howitzers that can be taken apart and and the separate pieces carried by the gunnery crew, compared to bringing that whole shebang strapped together and any movement can dislodge the adaptors or you have to lift the whole rig to your lips when a call comes through. Again, the problem here is that Lightning requires adapters for the Apple CCK, and while there are some generic Lightning CCKs available, your case presumably needs an extender. Given you are sticking with the K550, you can always just use  the stock Apple earbuds or get cheap but considerably better earbuds on the go, then when settled down set up the transportable kit.

That or if you're willing to divorce iTunes for music management you can get a one-box DAP like the Ibasso DX50, which has a proper DAC circuit with an output stage that feeds a good enough power amp section in it. Note that this will be a paradigm shift, which is why I did not take this up earlier, since you won't be using iTunes, something that historically has been kind of a traumatic experience for iDevice users, and that's before the beta firmware woes on early buyers. For example I know someone who tried using my old iPod with a Rockbox firmaware and she had no idea what the heck drag and drop is despite the fact that she uses a USB drive for work.

May 5, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #27 of 33
 kind of a traumatic experience for iDevice users, and that's before the beta firmware woes on early buyers. For example I know someone who tried using my old iPod with a Rockbox firmaware and she had no idea what the heck drag and drop is despite the fact that she uses a USB drive for work.

---  I found this really amusing ----

well I searched it up and I was really blown away from this guy's troubles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyZ5cvwhblg

Transportable - DAP or device used as digital transport in your pocket or one bag compartment, and other related components like an amp and maybe a DAC in their own bag or a compartment in whatever bag you have, to be assembled together as a system when you get to a location

That makes much more sense, that was what I was aiming for; listening at the library or home for hours.

I've only used - and observed as working - the original Camera Connection Kit. If anything, try to get that dock extender

I researched and found this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=3a

and I'm almost 100% sure this fits into my iphone's case.  Does this solve my problem?

Found it here:  http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

"The best solution for now is Apple’s Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, part number MD821ZM. This cable conveniently provides a USB port from your iPhone/iPad, allowing you to connect a short mini-USB cable to your DAC."

May 5, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #28 of 33

I researched and found this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=3a

and I'm almost 100% sure this fits into my iphone's case.  Does this solve my problem?

Found it here:  http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

"The best solution for now is Apple’s Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, part number MD821ZM. This cable conveniently provides a USB port from your iPhone/iPad, allowing you to connect a short mini-USB cable to your DAC."

Most likely yes, I see no reason for it to be different from the old CCK; also if you'll get the C5D then it's sure to work since they've tested it themselves. Since you'll use it on a desk/table cable management will not be a real problem in any way. You can also get a dock (original Apple or not) and hook up that cable there to the Lightning port on the dock. I got a generic one for my S3 and since all pins are wired up as an extension going to the port on the back the OTG cable works with no issues; ditto with the original iPad dock and CCK.

May 5, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #30 of 33
Dear Fellows,

As I understood iBasso doesn't need an amp or dac?

(I have an X3 and I would be embarrassed if it needs even an amp!!! (I'm waiting for a DUNU DN-1000 to come: Does need one or I'm ok at least with high gain???))

Thanks, john.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back