### AMP/DAC which supports Dolby and DTS? ###
Oct 8, 2014 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Brick3

Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I'm looking for an amp/dac which supports dolby digital and dts. I was originally planning to buy audio-gd nfb-11 but as i will use the device mainly for film and game, getting a device which doesn't support these two formats would be a waste.
I'm currently using astro mixamp but not only it doesn't support dts but also the audio quality is not very good.
So  does anyone know a good amp/dac which supports dolby and dts? 
My budget is 400$ max.
Thanks in advance.
edit.
I'm not sure if this'll help but i'll be using hd650, k702 and fidelio x1 as headphones.

Oct 8, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 6
  Hey everyone. I'm looking for an amp/dac which supports dolby digital and dts. I was originally planning to buy Audio-gd nfb-11 but as i will use the device mainly for film and game, getting a device which doesn't support these two formats would be a waste.
I'm currently using astro mixamp but not only it doesn't support DTS but also the audio quality is not very good.
So  does anyone know a good amp/dac which supports Dolby and DTS? 
My budget is 400$ max.
Thanks in advance.
edit.
I'm not sure if this'll help but i'll be using hd650, k702 and fidelio x1 as headphones.

Assuming this is for a gaming console.
Getting a external headphone amplifier ($60-$130) and daisy chaining it the Mix-amp's headphone output, might improve audio quality a little.

About your only choice is to get a Yamaha A/V receiver, which comes with Silent Cinema, Yamaha's own headphone surround sound technology (I guess it could be called decent).
Connect HDMI from the gaming console to the receiver, plug headphones into receiver, 30-Ohm Fidelios headphones may not work well with a receiver, but HD650 and K702 should sound good.

Refurb Yamaha RX-A710 (supports Dolby & DTS), $349 would be great to also use with speakers.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa710bl/yamaha-rx-a710-aventage-series-home-theater-receiver/1.html

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 6

Assuming this is for a gaming console.
Getting a external headphone amplifier ($60-$130) and daisy chaining it the Mix-amp's headphone output, might improve audio quality a little.

About your only choice is to get a Yamaha A/V receiver, which comes with Silent Cinema, Yamaha's own headphone surround sound technology (I guess it could be called decent).
Connect HDMI from the gaming console to the receiver, plug headphones into receiver, 30-Ohm Fidelios headphones may not work well with a receiver, but HD650 and K702 should sound good.

Refurb Yamaha RX-A710 (supports Dolby & DTS), $349 would be great to also use with speakers.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa710bl/yamaha-rx-a710-aventage-series-home-theater-receiver/1.html

Thank you for the answer PurpleAngel. Yes it's for both game consoles and also for movies.
-Is it possible to daisy chain mixamp with an amp/dac. Mixamp's dac chip isn't of high quality so i would prefer to get an amp/dac combo rather than just amp. 
-As far as i'm concerned receivers which are built mainly for speakers aren't good enough for headphones compared to headphone amp/dacs. I have a great harman cardon receiver for example which has db and dts but the headphone support is not good enough. Though it's completely normal as its main focus is speakers, headphone support is just a non mandatory feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back