AMP/DAC upgrade over the STX
Apr 24, 2014 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Morph91

100+ Head-Fier
I know the STX is a really good AMP/DAC but i am looking for something better. Does anyone have any recommendations? I mainly listen to music from my computer and i use a Fiio E18 for portable use, any help would be great! Thanks

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 12
Is that one of the best combos?

For it's price and your location, yes. You might be able to find something a little better for more money within your budget. But there are tons of people on Head-Fi that will recommend the ODAC and O2 as an outstanding combination. I thought the ODAC was a little better than my STX (before I got rid of it), and the O2 is definitely a better overall amp than the one built in the STX.

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the reply. Where could i find the O2 and ODAC in the UK? 

See the link in my previous post.

The EHP-O2D is the same as the combo ODAC and Objective 2 (O2) amp reguarly recommended on Head-Fi.

If you would like, you can also buy the amp and DAC as separates from the same vendor (instead of in one case).

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for the help mate. I don't suppose you know but what AMP/DAC combo supports Dolby Headphone. I would love Dolby Headphone on the move and stationary at home. I'm a big fan of it on the STX.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 12
You could use optical out into Schiit's new Modi that uses optical for a DAC.

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 12
You could use optical out into Schiit's new Modi that uses optical for a DAC.

+1

You either need (a) a DAC with optical input to use with your STX or another soundcard with Dolby Headphone or (b) stick with your STX and just get a headphone amp to use with it.

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 12
  Thanks for the help mate. I don't suppose you know but what AMP/DAC combo supports Dolby Headphone. I would love Dolby Headphone on the move and stationary at home. I'm a big fan of it on the STX.

The Audio-GD NFB-15.32 ($255+shipping) comes with USB, optical & coaxial inputs, so it will work with a sound card that comes with Dolby Headphone and a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm
There is also the NFB-11.32
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1132/NFB11.32EN.htm

Asus sound cards with Dolby Headphone, DG, DGX, DX, D1, STX, ST.
So you can sell off your STX and get the much cheaper DG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back