### Amp/Dac under $400 ###
Aug 30, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #16 of 22

I have the NFB-28, which should only be more analyitcal. It's like the NFB-11 on steroids with analog ins and outs and balanced capabilities too. I was on the same page as you, not wanting details and 'audiophilia' to ruin my musical experience. I have never once found this to be an issue. Your cans are always going to be the #1 factor! If you'd like to play it safe, consider the NFB-15. It's the same exact thing with a different DAC chip (WM8741) that sounds right up your alley. More musical/lush/deep. Don't mind the lower price tag, that sucker's playing on the NFB-11's level, just with a less 'audiophile' DAC chip that's easier to implement.

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #17 of 22
I have the NFB-28, which should only be more analyitcal. It's like the NFB-11 on steroids with analog ins and outs and balanced capabilities too. I was on the same page as you, not wanting details and 'audiophilia' to ruin my musical experience. I have never once found this to be an issue. Your cans are always going to be the #1 factor! If you'd like to play it safe, consider the NFB-15. It's the same exact thing with a different DAC chip (WM8741) that sounds right up your alley. More musical/lush/deep. Don't mind the lower price tag, that sucker's playing on the NFB-11's level, just with a less 'audiophile' DAC chip that's easier to implement.

+1

The NFB-11 is very transparent, accurate, and detailed. It should never take away from how your headphones sound, but better reveal how well your headphones can perform.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #18 of 22

Wow thanks, that was really helpful. Do you know anything about matrix cube. It's also fun oriented mostly as far as i know. It has wm8740 chip. Is there a difference between wm8741?
That one has a free shipping so if it's about the same with nfb-15 it would be a better deal for me.

+1

The NFB-11 is very transparent, accurate, and detailed. It should never take away from how your headphones sound, but better reveal how well your headphones can perform.

I'm very interested in nfb-11 actually. It has the same chip with the a lot more expensive nfb-28 which makes it even more tempting but if i don't like the analytic sound of it i won't have the chance to return it.

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #19 of 22
Matrix is a well liked brand, first I've heard of that unit though. The USB input is probably superior on the Audio-GD's, but you don't have BNC or analog inputs. Not sure how much power the Cube puts out, that would be my main worry. It says headphones up to 300 ohms... but that means you could be stretching into not-the-cleanest power for louder volumes with your Q701 and HD650, which are harder to drive than X1's. The chip difference is probably 1 vs. 2 channel? I'll look that up.

Aug 31, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #20 of 22
Double post, lol. Dang interwebz.

Aug 31, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #21 of 22
I'm very interested in nfb-11 actually. It has the same chip with the a lot more expensive nfb-28 which makes it even more tempting but if i don't like the analytic sound of it i won't have the chance to return it.

Yeah. I just don't get why anyone would call the NFB-11 analytical sounding. Maybe because someone already has a headphone that has analytical tendencies to them (personal listening preference) and they are trying to overcome that. The NFB-11 is not edgy, not bright sounding. It's clean and clear, like a high quality window that you can't even tell is there. Some people like tinted windows or windows that soften the view. If you don't know that you want that by having tried other amps, I think it would be a mistake to go down this rabbit hole, especially the headphone/dac/amp synergy thing, because you have a wide range of headphones.

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #22 of 22
Agreed. To become analytical, it'd have to be harsh, bright, artificially fast, coupled with headphones with a bizzare FR and even weirder music. To add to that, I wouldn't want any more warmth for HD650's or X1's, any any extra detail will only help remove some of the veil those have and really make your Q701 stand out. AGD products are usually just a tad smooth and have a certain 'Kingwa warmth or darkness' to them that is neither a warmth or darkness... it's just an analog sounding rig.  I've spent a good amount of time with the X1, HD650, and own the Q701... and I'd choose the Sabre ES9018 NFB-11 any day. Also, at the end of the day, the implementation of the DAC chip is approximately 1.206535 X 10^9 times more important (my numbers may be a bit off [/dry]) than the chip itself.

The WM8741 is the single channel model, btw. WM8740 seems to be the dual channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back