AMP/DAC to run AKG K271 mkii and m-audio BX5 powered monitors off
Aug 14, 2016 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Johnny Golden

Head-Fier
Hi

I do recording and mixing for which I use a Focusrite 2i4 but I was wondering whether there is a better amp and DAC combo that I could use the DAC for my powered monitors and the headphone amp/DAC to power my akg k271 MkII headphones or is the Focusrite DAC good enough. I also plan on getting some akg k550s and akg k702s.

Thanks for your help I am a bit unsure whether or not I can get an amp and DAC better than the Focusrite for around 300 AUD

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 5
One thing to think about is external DAC/amps do not come with mic inputs.
So your losing your recording function.

Assuming your looking at improving audio quality (for listening/enjoyment)?

I think you might be better off spend your audio budget for better headphones, then replacing the Focusrite 2i4.

The AKG (Massdrop) K553 Pro, might be a better buy, then the K550.

Aug 14, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 5
  I do not plan on replacing my Focusrite just getting something to play my music through

I have looked at your suggestion but cannot find anywhere to buy them that will ship them to Australia.

Guess I'm not the one to say what you would have to "reasonably" spend to make a noticeable improvement in audio quality, over the 2i4.
I'm not in any way a expert on Audio Interfaces (more like a very amateur audio enthusiast).

Maybe you could find a used Schiit stack (Modi/Magni or Modi/Vali) with in your budget.
Or a used Audio-GD NFB-15 (it what I use and like)

A tube (or hybrid) headphone amplifier, connected to the line-output of the 2i4, might make a difference for headphones like the K702.
Might find a good deal on a used Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier.

My thinking is it's better to buy the headphones first, then see how much you have leftover for a amp or DAC/amp.
So spend more then what you had planned for the headphones and less for any amp or DAC/amp.

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 5
I see your reasoning but the better the headphones the more expensive and more powerful the dac and amp will need to be to be able to reach the full potential of the headphones. If I were to get better headphones what would you recommend, what are your thoughts on the Akg k712 and k702 or massdrop k7XX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back