Amp/DAC suggestion for He-400
Jul 3, 2014 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

NinjaCPU

New Head-Fier
After long consideration, I've purchased HE-400. Now, I haven't gotten the headphones just yet (they're being shipped tomorrow), but I was wondering what would be a great amp/DAC for them. I decided that using a Iphone would be a expensive pain and buying a Clip+ would be the best way to go to listen around the house. Now, that means I don't need a DAC for them and just a amp. However, I'm a bit confused on my course of action here. My two primary places I'll be listening to music will be the Clip+ and my computer rig. 

The rig only has the soundboard that was integrated in the motherboard. It sound fine, though I doubt they would be optimal listening comparatively to a DAC. Right now I do want to get a amp for the Clip+, something that would give me cleaner sound if possible. My budget is at best $120. I know that I could just get an amp such as the E11 or JDS Labs. However for a DAC, I'm not sure if I should just go hybrid to a E17. Are there any other options here? Seems like I should just go for the hybrid instead of getting separate amps/DAC.

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 3
Well done on the HE-400, I have a pair which I really like.

The E17 won't be powerful enough unfortunately - I had to get myself an E12 which I find is perfect - but is an amp only.

You might investigate the E18, or look into getting a separate DAC for the PC (I have a Behringer U-Control which performs well for the price) then run the signal through the E12.

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #3 of 3
If by around the house, you don't mean moving around with the Clip+ in your pocket, the Objective 2 amp would do a great job at driving the HE-400s. It's too big for the pocket. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back