AMP/DAC search - Pico,D10 or Topaz
Apr 22, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 24
I'm using the Pico with AKG-701's. I have to tell you that in my opinion it sounds significantly better with the DAC setup rather than using the amp section in portable mode. That being said, based on what I've read it seems that a good desktop amp/dac combo should beat the above mentioned setup. I'm ordering a Gilmore Lite with Justin's new Pico/Dac only. I'm optimistic that I'll see some noticable improvement.

Good Luck

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 24
To know what phones to suggest we need to know your musical preferences. Although Grados do somethings extremely well, they certainly aren't my default and become the suggestion based on genre (a lot of fans primarily listen to variations on rock), but even more instruments (ex. nothing better with cello) and band size (smallish). Senns are a safer bet (and again designed around in this case) and of course other manufactures to consider at this price range. You've got a lot of nice choices there.

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #18 of 24
I made new thread regarding wich headphones to choose.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hel...0/#post5631454

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the Pico with AKG-701's. I have to tell you that in my opinion it sounds significantly better with the DAC setup rather than using the amp section in portable mode. That being said, based on what I've read it seems that a good desktop amp/dac combo should beat the above mentioned setup. I'm ordering a Gilmore Lite with Justin's new Pico/Dac only. I'm optimistic that I'll see some noticable improvement.

Good Luck

ahh you lucky fella you have money to burn!
biggrin.gif
i use my pico amp w/ dac chained to a gilmore lite and it's fantastic. i was really tempted to get the dac only version if only so i don't need to keep charging the little sucker but its 300usd for a presumably similiar sound quality.

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're getting a lot of different responses. In my experience you'd have to spend nearly what the Pico costs on just an amp to surpass it with power hungry full-sized cans. It shouldn't be surprising that the Pico can be beat if price and size is not a concern, but what is surprising is how well it performs for its cost (and size). You decide how you want to divide the ratio of the $500, arguably the DAC is its strong suite (and I know a few that use it for home DAC duties - thus the new version), but then again Headamp shoots for transparency in their amps. If memory serves Senns were used for testing during the design so those power hungry cans were considered by Justin.

Because of practicalities my Pico doesn't get a lot of head-time, but whenever I use it I'm always amazed at its performance.

I should also mention the iBasso D2 Boa sounds very good also, though I never heard it with high impedance cans. And Styleaudio's Topaz feature-set is impressive, but who knows about performance? Finally, if on a Mac the Apogee Duet's DAC is a killer, but the Pico beats it when higher power drive is required on the amp section.

I have a Mac and I am in the market for a DAC, I won't be using the amp section as I already have both full sized and portable amps, which DAC would you recommend? Isn't the Duet a little on the bright side?

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Mac and I am in the market for a DAC, I won't be using the amp section as I already have both full sized and portable amps, which DAC would you recommend? Isn't the Duet a little on the bright side?

I had the duet a while ago and loved it but my only gripe with it was it doesn't have an on/off switch. So if you want to remove it properly from the mac you need to shut down the mac, unplug the firewire cable and then reboot.

That along with 1 or 2 other factors led me to selling the duet and going for the pico/amp combo.

May 6, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #23 of 24
I have now narrowed down my amp/dac search to:
Pico
Ibasso D10 Cobra
Styleaudio Topaz

Headphones: Denon MD5000

Still a bit unsure what to get. I'm leaning towards the Topaz, since it's got great reviews about sound quality. It's probably the most powerful out of the three. But then again, it's not portable.
If I decide to go portable, I'm now leaning towards the D10 which sounds like a bargain ($280). I hear it's just as powerful as the pico and has roughly the same dac chip? It also has more input options, which I like.
Size is not a biggie, so if the D10 is more bang for the buck I will go for the D10.

May 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #24 of 24
denons rock with pico, but rock even more with D10, IU recommend the D10 over pico.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back