Amp/Dac recommendations for DT 990 Pro (250ohms)
Jul 19, 2019 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ko24be

New Head-Fier
I know there are plenty of posts out there that ask this question, so I apologise if this seems like I am just being 'lazy', but I have found that almost none of them are prefaced with the intended usage of the headphones, which makes things pretty confusing and off-track as I read through the responses. Also, a large percentage are aimed towards gaming, which isn't my intention. The main purpose is going to be producing and mixing (more specifically hip-hop, RnB and orchestral/cinematic music). Whatever else I may use them for is secondary and of zero interest in this matter. Basically, I purchased the specified headphones and i'm looking for a headphone amp and possibly a dac (if necessary).

Few things to note:
  • For now, it is connected to an M-Audio MobilePre audio interface. Pretty old interface, but I am content with it for the meantime; though it is nowhere the loudness I would prefer, as well as the quality and clarity (that I would presumably achieve with an amp+dac).
  • I have a GIgabyte x299 AORUS Gaming 3 Pro MB which uses the ALC 1120 120dB SNR chip. When the headphones are connected to the MB, they underperform to a very noticeable degree compared to the audio interface.
So basically, my two main questions are:
  1. Do I absolutely need both an amp and a dac? If so, what would you recommend? My budget is about $200-$300 AUD, but money isn't a big issue...I would just have a hard time justifying the price to myself. However, if there is something you would very highly recommend in addition to the products within my budget, even if it is overkill for my specific headphones but would be beneficial for future upgrades, please let me know.
  2. If a dac is not absolutely necessary and an amp alone connected to the MB would suffice, what would you recommend? Again, the budget is the same.
One other thing:
  • I would prefer desktop amps/dacs. Portable ones are not needed. Not sure about sound cards.

Not sure if I've missed any key details. Let me know if I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back