AMP/DAC or tube amp? please help
Oct 28, 2014 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Kevbo

Head-Fier
So i just bought my first good pair of headphones (senn hd 598) and want to start experimenting with amps. Right now im looking at the bravo v3 tube amp for $72 and the monoprice amp/dac combo for $89.
My source would be my sound card (sound blaster z)

Any advice would be great

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 16
Solid state amps are more accurate than tube amps, but some people like the change that tubes create to the audio signal better. It's a personal preference thing (I prefer solid state).

The Bravo is just a headphone amplifier; the Monoprice has a DAC, too, that might improve the sound quality, depending on your source. The Monoprice also has pre-amp outputs in case you want to hook powered speakers or a speaker amp up to it as well.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 16
I have a good sound card, so does that mean i dont need a dac?

A good sound card doesn't mean you have a good DAC on that card (few if any do)

If you're going to spend less then $100 for a DAC, you might want to take a look at the forthcoming DAC from Schiit (easy to return or resell if you don't like it) called the "Fulla".

If you want something a better but not go audiophilio-mad, check out the Schiit Mangi+Modi Amp and DAC. Very low entry and a fantastic deal. Great stuff for a low price with fantastic performance.

You can check out the Schiit guide for choosing a DAC here. I am in no way affiliated with them, just a happy customer. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 16
looked into it a bit more and read that any sound card has a dac onboard it depends on the value of the card

i spend ~$100 usd on the card so i think ill be ok

im looking into the amp to see if it will have any drastic changes

i have
creative sound blaster z
sennheiser hd 598
shure se215

lots of budget gear so im trying to get the most out of it

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 16
I'd use the SB-Z as your DAC for sure, you'd have to spend quite a bit more to hear a difference. I think that a hybrid tube/SS amp would be great for you. Cheap pure tube amps are hard to make correct (tubes are high-voltage, high output impedance), and SS may not give you the warmth you want. The Schiit Vali is an option, so are the Garage 1217 Project amps, and I'm not sure if the Bravo is a hybrid, but any of those should do.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 16
So i just bought my first good pair of headphones (senn hd 598) and want to start experimenting with amps. Right now im looking at the bravo v3 tube amp for $72 and the monoprice amp/dac combo for $89.
My source would be my sound card (sound blaster z)

Any advice would be great

hey since your new & you are looking at the bravo v3, i'll down to donate my old bravo v3 to you. it's just gathering dust in my closet. had it up for sale for a while, but don't think really anyone is interested in it.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #10 of 16
Hi kevbo, what genre of music are you listening to?

Tube amps may have trouble with music that have fast tempos...especially older tube amps or not well designed models.

My own experience is tubes aren't that good for classical music...too much color. But they suit slow pace vocals or jazz pretty well

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 16
  hey since your new & you are looking at the bravo v3, i'll down to donate my old bravo v3 to you. it's just gathering dust in my closet. had it up for sale for a while, but don't think really anyone is interested in it.

Well OP welcome to Head Fi :3 were 99% of us are here to share! This is a perfect example of that. Something I would recommend is that you  PM @money4me247 or get his email. So you can talk about the details of this outside of EVERY ones eye. As he would need to ship it your home, residance or work place. 

But that's great that your offering to do that Money4Me! 

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 16
Hi kevbo, what genre of music are you listening to?

Tube amps may have trouble with music that have fast tempos...especially older tube amps or not well designed models.

My own experience is tubes aren't that good for classical music...too much color. But they suit slow pace vocals or jazz pretty well

Generally more heavy metal but recently I've gotten into very melodic and vocally based songs

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #13 of 16

Well OP welcome to Head Fi :3 were 99% of us are here to share! This is a perfect example of that. Something I would recommend is that you  PM @money4me247 or get his email. So you can talk about the details of this outside of EVERY ones eye. As he would need to ship it your home, residance or work place. 

But that's great that your offering to do that Money4Me! 

Thanks for the warm welcome!  I'll be sure to take your advice. Looking forward to foruming on here more :)

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 16
Hey Kevbo, they might sound funny on heavy metal but no harm trying. At the very least u can say you are exposed to tubes :)

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 16
Hey Kevbo, they might sound funny on heavy metal but no harm trying. At the very least u can say you are exposed to tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah i assumed that, I'm mainly interested for like melodic songs with amazing vocals 
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back