Amp/DAC or Aria for DT880?
Oct 22, 2006 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Spacko

100+ Head-Fier
I have been searching the forums, like a crazed freak suffering from the yearning of an upgrade, and i can't come to conclusion as to what i should buy for my laptop.

Straight to the point:
I'm search of a new DAC and Amp with a budget of around £400 (which can increase given that it would be worth the price).

1. Corda Aria for around £280

OR

2. Seperate DAC, Amp and i guess i need to buy some good interconnecters.

I'm looking for the setup to bring out a warm, lush sound from the bass and low-mids of my DT880. Will a tube amplifier work best with my needs? I've seen many options on various threads but none have helped a great deal.

Will a £400 combo compare well with a Aria or will diminishing returns kick in strongly?

Many thanks of course to all replies.

Oct 22, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 5
I thought the Aria + DT880 went very well together. I wouldn't call it a particularly warm combination, however, though I guess it did have somewhat of a smooth/lush low end, with tight but not plentiful bass. I did end up EQing the treble down a bit as well.

Oct 23, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator
I thought the Aria + DT880 went very well together. I wouldn't call it a particularly warm combination, however, though I guess it did have somewhat of a smooth/lush low end, with tight but not plentiful bass. I did end up EQing the treble down a bit as well.

I'd have to agree with this (apart from in my case I didn't have to do any EQ) but I do think that the Aria and DT880 go together rather well - actually I think that this amp is very capable of driving pretty much anything you care to throw at it. It is the only desktop amp and the only thing I could compare it to is my PA2V2 but it doesn't seem that warm with the DT880. For that kind of style and sound I actually prefer my A900LTD with the Aria - although the bass isn't as tight and solid sounding.

If possible could you see someone who owns the Aria to get an idea of whether it'd be a good fit for you? Personally I love the DAC and amp combo of the Aria and it's perfect for my requirements and needs at the moment (plus it's cheaper then forking out for a seperate amp, DAC & interconnects

Oct 23, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 5
I really liked the Corda Aria, but you may also want to consider the Zhaolu D2 with upgraded Headamp. Like an inverted Aria; mostly DAC instead of mostly headamp. But it's a great DAC, and then headamp is still quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back