Amp/DAC .....one box solution or separates?
Oct 13, 2021 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Womaz

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi I am looking for guidance again.

Since I got my 1266TCs I am blown away. They are such a massive step up from the HEK I was previously using.

I stream Roon mainly Tidal now from my Phone or lap top at present and I am waiting to set up a Raspberry Pi to take over the streaming duties. I have the Tidal HIFI subscription and I do have some hi res music , but its not enough for this to be a concern.

I have asked for advice on another thread about improving my Amp/DAC set up and it has been very helpful and I have done a lot of reading and research. Unfortunately for me it is nigh on impossible to audition gear so I have to do it this way.

I understand the arguments for separate DAC and AMP and I may even go down this route, but the more I think about this I like to keep things simple so a one box solution still really appeals.

There are so many options I can take with the separates option . So many DACs and so many Amps, but if I go one box solution I see a lot less options.

I will have a 5k buget, which could be stretched to 6K.

I am considering the Violectric DHA V590. Apart from this I cant really see any other options that will beat my current Burson 3X Reference Amp/DAC.

Ideally the Nimbus range release a version with a DAC as this would really appeal.

Chord Hugo TT2 – don’t know why I just don’t fancy it.

I know people will ask what sort of improvements are you looking for. I dont really know other than every time I spend more money on something it does improve my set up. What I have sounds bloody amazing to me , but I know there will be better out there.

Would really appreciate some guidance and even some recommendations to check out

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 10
I strongly prefer an all in one device.

1. Personally i always liked the sound of those more
2. You don't have to swap around multiple things
3. You don't have to buy cables

I never listened to the Burson but with the experiences i have with Chord and Violectric you most likely will not have any improvement unless you want a different sound signature. Even if there is any "improvement" in a 5k dac/amp over a 3k dac/amp which i doubt you gain nothing with adding a 0,00001% improvement but getting a less liked sound colour/signature so i'd just stay with the Burson.

Oct 13, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 10
I strongly prefer an all in one device.

1. Personally i always liked the sound of those more
2. You don't have to swap around multiple things
3. You don't have to buy cables

I never listened to the Burson but with the experiences i have with Chord and Violectric you most likely will not have any improvement unless you want a different sound signature. Even if there is any "improvement" in a 5k dac/amp over a 3k dac/amp which i doubt you gain nothing with adding a 0,00001% improvement but getting a less liked sound colour/signature so i'd just stay with the Burson.
Yes this thought had crossed my mind, as I am loving what I hear. Burson are also releasing a Amp only Soloist GT and the specs look impressive, so at a later date they may do something similar with a DAC also in the product.
Burson are supposed to have a slightly warmer signature......but I am no expert.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 10
An unpopular opinion of mine, however, it's a place of strong concession.

I'd recommend good enough is good enough. Chord TT2.

Oct 13, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 10
An unpopular opinion of mine, however, it's a place of strong concession.

I'd recommend good enough is good enough. Chord TT2.
If I understand your message correctly :relaxed: I have read it and re read it :relaxed: you would recommend the TT2?
It is probably one of the pieces of equipment I can audition

Oct 13, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 10
If I understand your message correctly :relaxed: I have read it and re read it :relaxed: you would recommend the TT2?
It is probably one of the pieces of equipment I can audition
The AIO $5k price bracket is underwhelming. This is due to the mediocre DACs.

I would recommend the TT2.

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 10
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I feel as in an all in one solution maybe the one I have at present may be good enough. Maybe I have to go separates to get an improvement. Its just thats quite daunting when unable to audition and lacking in technical know how.

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 10
Oct 13, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 10
Oct 14, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 10
Personally I like the separates, but that's more because I rotate between a couple of amps (SS, OTL and hybrid)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back