Amp/Dac headphones newbie please help
Oct 22, 2013 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

panersche

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, 
      First off I'd like to introduce myself, I'm Mason from Boston. I'm very new to the audio world. I've went thru a few pairs of headphones from beats, Bose, B&W. and some how I'm just not content. Until now I realized theres a really high end market for premium headphones as well as amps. All this is too much to digest the terms the jargon etc. Well WHat I'm looking or hoping to attain is a nice pair of headphones and amp. I've been looking at the Audeze LCD 2 or HE-500. and woo audio fireflies or Schiit audio. I guess my real question is do i need a headphone amp specific to attain the sound quality from these headphones? Or can i just use my home audio amp. I have a old marantz amp, if properly set up can i use that to drive my headphones? Or if I get the Schitt amp and dac would i be able to drive my speakers with them? sorry for such a long post any comments advice would be highly helpful :wink:

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 10
Your marantz, how old and what model? That can be very important in valueing whether it is worth to use as amp. What do you listen to, what do you want in sound?

Schiit amp/DAC will not drive passive speakers except the schiit ragnarok.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 10
I would say to try any new headphone with the Marantz first, see how it sounds.
You can always get a DAC/Amp at a later date.
What is the make and model of the Marantz?

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 10
Hi guys thanks for the feedback the receiver is a marantz SR8200. I was thinking if instead of investing in a headphone amp what if I put that into a new Amp where I can use also for my home audio with a headphone output.. Would that work as well?

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi guys thanks for the feedback the receiver is a marantz SR8200. I was thinking if instead of investing in a headphone amp what if I put that into a new Amp where I can use also for my home audio with a headphone output.. Would that work as well?

How much would you spend for a new amplifier (or receiver?)?
What sources current feed into the Marantz?

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 10
You might want to hang out in this thread - these guys know receivers and headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 10
I doubt the receiver is old enough to have a proper headphone out. I think you should use something other than the receiver. The only not too expensive solution for headphone amp and speaker amp is going for a good vintage receiver.

Else, you can get a not over the top powerful speaker amp and use it with something like the HE-500, HE-4 or HE-5le from the speaker taps (require custom cable btw).
See, that could be pretty darn good.

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 10
Great, be sure to report back if you buy anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back