Amp/DAC for Ultrasone HFI-780 (for use with Macbook Pro)
May 1, 2011 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dfnj123

New Head-Fier
I just ordered a new pair of Ultrasone HFI-780 and I'm interested in getting an amp/DAC for it to use out of my Macbook Pro...

The two options that keep on coming up in my searches are UDAC-2 and the Fiio e7, but I'm interested in other people's opinions.

I'm looking to spend around $100-150 and using it out of my laptop would be the main usage, but portability for MP3 players (iPhone) would a great addition as well... Any ideas on matches?

May 2, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
The E7 would be your best best, buy better than that would be a Pico or a TTVJ Slim

I'm sure those amps would be better haha... they also cost about twice the amount I paid for the headphones 
blink.gif

The E7 did seem to be the better fit when I was searching for information.  Someone said in a thread from a few years ago that the 780's sound best when paired with a warm sounding amp, which seems to be the sound signature of the E7... Thanks for the help...

Any other opinions on a good Amp/DAC fit are welcome!

May 3, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
stretch your budget a little bit and get a leckerton uha-4...i placed my order yesterday and am anxiously awaiting. 

Whoa!  Those look nice... I'm differently comfortable stretching my budget.  I really don't want to enter the $200+ range, but $179 is completely reasonable as long as it that much better of a product (which it seems it is based off what I'm reading about it)...

Anyone have personal experience using the UHA-4 with a HFI-780?

May 3, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 9
its an excellent price for a nice piece of equipment that can pull double duty - as a dac/amp and a portable amp. the ibasso d10 is also a very good option, but that is limited in the terms of the battery - you have to use 9V and on that I believe battery life is relatively short compared to the uha-4

May 3, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 9
Yeah, it's certainly an added benefit to have a good battery life, but it's also not a "must" have feature for me (though it was be great to have)... I plan on using whatever amp/DAC I buy pretty much 99% of the time out of my laptop's USB port...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back