amp/dac for the denon d7000
Aug 23, 2009 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

n0ah

100+ Head-Fier
i'm looking for a combo that will drive these to their full worth. i've read nothing on them because i never thought realistically i'd be getting a pair of headphones that retail this high. would like to pull their full value for around $700 or less. it's a fresh start from the portables i've been using.

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 9
Budget?

I'm looking to snag one of those...and then completely quitting headfi.

Nevermind. Forgot about the HD800...completely forgot...

Aug 23, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 9
Budget?

I'm looking to snag one of those...and then completely quitting headfi.

Nevermind. Forgot about the HD800...completely forgot...

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 9
The Pico DAC is an great DAC choice under $400. There's some other great choices in this price range, but most of them are vintage DACs.

I haven't heard the D7000 so I'm not going to recommend any amps for them.

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 9
The AH-D2K/5K/7K are fairly easy to drive and aren't that picky about amplification.

If your looking at a Amp/DAC combo you should either go with the Audio-GD Compass or Pico.

I'm making these recommendations based on lots of reading hereon HF not on personal experience btw. Both of these are very highly regarded products.

Good luck.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by n0ah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm looking for a combo that will drive these to their full worth. i've read nothing on them because i never thought realistically i'd be getting a pair of headphones that retail this high. would like to pull their full value for around $700 or less. it's a fresh start from the portables i've been using.

Will you be using them on a PC? The Pico DAC is highly recommended, however, if you will not be using it on a PC, it's a moot point- USB only.

I have the D5000 and I specifically purchased the KICAS (non-caliente) for them and have been very happy with the performance. True, the Denons are not hard to drive, however, with the right amp everything tightens up.

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 9
I have had great success using an iBasso D10 Cobra with my Denon D7000s. I enjoy the sound so much that I am getting rid of some of my desktop amps. The DAC on the D10 has multiple inputs (USB, optical, and coaxial) so it is very flexible. Personally, I enjoy the stock opamp/buffer combination but many seem to enjoy tailoring the sound by rolling opamps/buffers. Just an option for your consideration. YMMV
icon10.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 9
thanks for the suggestions guys. doubt any of you have experience with all 3 but i'm looking for some head to head comparisons of the compass, hf2 and d10. they seem to all be safe bets but i'm just curious if there's a strong consensus of one over the others. i wouldn't give any edge to the d10 over the fact that it has portability in its favor as whatever i get is getting planted on a desk and not going anywhere. i'd also consider spending more than the retail on any of these. i'm looking for an amp/dac that people are content with the quality of both without bringing in outsider amps or dacs into their setup.

it will be used exclusively for my laptop and while i've never tried it over USB, i will be hooking up via optical if whatever unit i purchase has it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back